1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good time to be a black republican?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm watching Ron Christie, an African-American republican, on MSNBC defending Dick Cheney's Obama-not-keeping-us-safe remarks. I have the sense that he and other African-American republicans are much more out on the front lines since Obama's inauguration. (See also Michael Steele, chairman of the republican party).

So I have a two-part question:

1. Do you think it's accurate that black republicans have been more visible in 2009?
    2. If so, why?

My hypothesis is that the GOP is pushing African-Americans out there to criticize the Administration, but surely they can't expect this to erode Obama's support among blacks. Thus, if what I have described is a deliberate GOP strategy, I'm not sure what the true underlying motive for it is.
  2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I feel like the GOP has always enjoyed its minorities. Remember when J.C. Watts was supposed to be the up-and-coming star minority? Some play out, some don't, but guys like Steele, Jindal, etc., sure get a lot of airtime.

I personally think it's a very understandable tactic, since too many people I know associate the GOP exclusively with whites.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think Ron Christie is that effective as a spokesman, but he's better than a Tom DeLay or Gary Bauer. But sure, I think they make for a more interesting television dynamic. CNN has a conservative strategist who is pretty good at rebutting the Dems.
    But I remember when OJ was on trial and all of the sudden there were female legal analysts (blonde and African American) everywhere.
  4. Ron Christie is an absolute nut.
    That is all.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but why did Watts quit the political life? Cash?
  6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He $aid "family" when he de¢ided not to run again, but that'$ what they all $ay, if you get my drift.

(Of ¢our$e, he promi$ed to only $erve 2 term$ and got ele¢ted for 4.)
  7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I am asking a dumb question, but how do you type the cent symbol? It's not on the keyboard I am using currently.
  8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Option 4 on a Mac.
  9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If only he weren't so blender-molesting insane, Alan Keyes would be in clover on the talk show circuit right now.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Now € just not making ¢ when you say that. You must have a ¥ for causing trouble. :D
  11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, I think saying that Obama must be "stopped" might have made him a bit radioactive. I'm confident he'll resurface on the cable nets soon, though.
  12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

personally, i'm not sure it's ever good to be an african american republican, because it's always insane.
Draft saved Draft deleted