1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Time Girl: Teacher's aide, 34, booze, weed, condoms and teens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 25, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08056/860222-54.stm

Highlands teens found at hotel with teacher aide
    Beer, pot in room; charges are pending
    Monday, February 25, 2008
    By Amy McConnell Schaarsmith, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A teacher's aide for Highlands Senior High School in Harrison was arrested Friday for renting a hotel room where the police found beer, marijuana, an open condom wrapper and at least four teenage girls and boys, including several of her 15-year-old son's friends.

All the teenagers are students at Highlands Senior High.

Abbiejane Swogger, 34, said rumors already had been circulating through the high school that she was having sex with her son's friends. It is "absolutely not" true, according to Ms. Swogger, but the police finding the boys in Room 107 of New Kensington's Clarion Inn Hotel after spending the night there with her will only fuel those rumors, she acknowledged.

She knows her arrest is going to heap embarrassment on her son at school, Ms. Swogger said.

"I was stupid, very stupid -- I already know I was and I can understand you looking at me wrong," she said. "It's the biggest mistake I ever made in my whole life."

Charges against Ms. Swogger, who lives in Harrison, are pending, according to the police. Police in Harrison, Tarentum and New Kensington are involved in the investigation of Ms. Swogger, who said she remains a teacher's aide for special education students at Highlands Senior High. No one from the school district has talked to her about her arrest yet, she said last night.

Yesterday, Highlands School District Superintendent Karol Galcik, Director of Special Education Debra Lehew and Director of Pupil Personnel Services Karen King did not return phone calls to their homes.

The mother of one of the two 15-year-old girls found in Ms. Swogger's hotel room, however, said she wants for the aide "never to step in a school again." She is eager, she said, to press charges against Ms. Swogger after searching in vain for her daughter all Thursday night, only to have her returned after a night with an open case of beer, several teenage boys and the teacher's aide.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette does not identify or provide identifying information about juveniles who may be involved in sexual assaults.

Ms. Swogger's behavior was "ridiculous," said Tarentum Police Chief William Vakulick.

"It's not something you're going to tolerate," he said. "Hopefully she's being charged with everything possible so it doesn't happen again."

Police said the girls cut class on Thursday and walked to the home of one of the boys in Natrona, where Ms. Swogger picked them up and took them to the hotel room.

Ms. Swogger denies she drove the teenagers to the hotel, saying she rented the room with two female friends in their early 20s and was drinking beer there with them so her sons, ages 12 and 15, wouldn't see her drinking at home. The underage girls and boys, she said, showed up later that evening and refused to leave even after she told them they couldn't stay.

"Maybe the girls are trying to hide something and they are just using me so they don't get into trouble," Ms. Swogger said. "Maybe they were there with somebody they shouldn't have been with."

Her friends, she said, were trying to set her up on a blind date with someone, but the arrangement fell through and "it ended up being all these little kids."

When the 15-year-old girl didn't show up after school, her mother said, she first thought her daughter had gone to a friend's house, as she sometimes does. But that evening, the grandmother of one of her daughter's friends said her granddaughter also hadn't come home after school, and that she had called the police.

After calling all of her daughter's friends trying to find her, the mother said, she called the police as well. Together, they searched all night for the girls, who later said they were too scared of what their parents would do to call home.

"It was terrible, driving all night, looking for my daughter," the mother said. "I didn't know if she was dead or alive."

Ultimately, the police heard the girls had been seen leaving school together on Thursday and might be staying with friends in Natrona. Those friends said they had heard Ms. Swogger had gotten a room at the Clarion and that the girls might have gone there.

When the police arrived at the Clarion at about noon on Friday, Ms. Swogger was in the lobby, they said. She told officers that no one else was staying with her, but agreed to let them look in her room, where they found the teenagers. Ms. Swogger's son was not among them, although she said she had told him where she was staying and he had stopped by her room the previous evening.

Her son is very upset about her arrest, Ms. Swogger said, which comes after weeks of taunting from his classmates about his mother's relationship with his friends. She has asked him what he says when they tease him, she said.

"He said, 'Mom, it's me against the world right now -- what can I say?' "

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Could her parents not afford a space between those two first names?

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hotel room, beer, weed and condoms. Is that the teenage equivalent of hitting for the cycle?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No pics?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

She's now resigned.
    http://kdka.com/local/teachers.aide.arrest.2.661912.html

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sorry about that. I really strive to provide pics with every story... I haven't found any yet.

7. Ms. Swogger The Snogger?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As God is my witness, I'm sure Abbiejane Swogger was a bit character in a Jenkins book.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

This paragraph is brilliant:

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Early leader in the "Trailer Trash Name of All Time" contest.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Hope this proves to some of you in the northeast that it's not always wise to jump on the south for harboring this kind of trailer-park mentality.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Poin, how does it work, do you subscribe to a wire service or RSS feed? Your ability to find these stories is breathtaking...I hope you are simultaneously filing iReports.

Draft saved Draft deleted