1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good television show about life in the newsroom

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chazp, Nov 2, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sportswriters on TV.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"Deadline" - are we referring to "Deadline USA," with the last scene where Bogart holds up the phone so the mob boss can hear the presses run?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Broadcast News is by far the best one I've seen in terms of TV accuracy. Some of the little details were great -- everyone in TV knows someone who has sweat like Nixon on-air, a la Aaron Altman. And Joan Cusack's frantic run to get the tape on-air was dead-on (though it dates the movie a bit now, since most everyone has gone to a tapeless system). We used to have a news set that used the newsroom as a backdrop and at least once a show viewers would see someone flying through to get a tape from editing to the tape room.

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

No, Deadline was an NBC show with Oliver Platt as an NYC columnist. It lasted a few weeks and turns up on the Sleuth network every now and again.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

What a shitty friggin rule that is!

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's an underrated flick.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

No we're not.
    Terrier is right.
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0044533/
    It's a very good movie.

8. Anyone see the Sports Action Team?

http://sportsactionteam.com/

gets kind of tedious- but it has its moments of hiliarity.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The final season of The Wire might be what we're looking for. At least that's my feeling when I look at the descriptions of what it's going to be about.

10. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

I would go crayzee and kill someone if it wasn't for my iPod.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You know the old saying, when you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?

12. Another good movie about journalism is The Front Page with Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau. It won't be confused with All The President's Men, which came out two years later, but it'll make you laugh. The old-timers on here will probably note it was a remake of some Cary Grant movie (Girl Friday?) years and years before ... didn't see that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted