1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good television show about life in the newsroom

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chazp, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Have you even seen the whole movie, or just that scene? Actually, that wouldn't even have mattered. He made light of saying it even as he said it. ::)

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Three-oh-nine!

TV shows, not so much, but The Paper is a movie virtually all of us identify with.

4. I thought "The Paper" was pretty realistic.

And I loved "Lou Grant." The owner of my old paper even was a little like Mrs. Pynchon.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

NewsRadio - Great cast, great show.
    Dave's World - I liked it

And in the movie category, Zodiac was pretty damned good. Reminded me of covering a wacked out coaching search.

6. The first 3/4 of The Paper portrayed life in a newsroom pretty well. It got silly toward the end - but that's Hollywood.

I didn't know about Absence of Malice, but now I'll check it out.

Shattered Glass is an interesting choice. I was always curious why they made a movie out of it. I liked it, but I don't see anyone outside of our business liking it.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There was a made-for-TV movie in 1980 in which David Janssen, in his last role before he died, played an alcoholic cityside columnist on an L.A. daily that was just bought by a Rupert Murdoch-like owner. A serial killer played by Mickey Rourke terrorizes the city.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0080540/

8. lono

lono Active Member

"You have a lot of spunk, Mary."

"Thank you, Mr. Grant!"

"I hate spunk."

Ah, those were the days ...

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

"Lou Grant" is on every Wednesday on the American Life Network, a channel on my digital cable package that shows Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, L.A. Law, WKRP and the two Newharts..

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

My best friend used to work for a caterer. He was working at a party in Beverly Hills that Ed Asner attended. He approached Asner and said, "I have a friend who is a real newspaperman. Can I get your autograph for him?" Asner said: "If your friend is a real newspaperman, he wouldn't want my autograph."
    He was right.
    Seriously, it bugs me that movies usually make the media seem like a bunch of idiots. From the guy in Slap Shot -- "I just tried to get the spirit of the thing, Reg" -- to even Harry Potter and Rita Skeeter.
    Is "Absence of Malice" the one with Paul Newman and Sally Field? Where Sally Field royally screwed up a story about Newman's family?
    The media people in "Bull Durham" were zeros, too. Look at "Mr. 3000." He slept with the ESPN chickie and it was like no big deal.

11. The Mean Season was okay, but I'll watch anything with Kurt Russell. Probably made around the late 80s, but on DVD. Check Netflix.

12. Please to be fucking off now.
    My vote goes to the original Kolchak - The Night Stalker.

Draft saved Draft deleted