1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good television show about life in the newsroom

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chazp, Nov 2, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know in one of my stops, I was asked to not use my iPod at work, because basically none of us communicated when we had earphones in.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Duh, My Boys [duckingFenian]

On a serious note, Tony's right (for the first time, like ever!) Newsrooms are pretty damned boring nowadays.

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Slap Maxwell.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Wasn't there a very short-lived series with Oliver Platt ... Deadline. Never saw it, but it received good reviews in its short run.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

A Canadian show called the Newsroom was about a TV station, and it was pretty damn close. Probably why it was so funny.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Deadline was well done (mainly for the banter and office bs) and if you'll forgive the time travel and the ability for a newspaper reporter being able to afford a nice two story house in San Francisco - they have discussed declining circulation, blogging and layoff and buyouts at the paper portrayed in Journeyman.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Forget an R rating, the language used in every newsroom I've ever worked in would make Dog The Bounty Hunter blush...

When I was an intern at a certain Southern California paper several years back, one of the other interns and I used to count how many times the C-word would be said during a regular shift. If a certain female writer was working, it was usually more than 10...

When I tell people what a newsroom is like, nobody believes me...

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I get really annoyed when my profession is portrayed inaccurately (cough, My Boys, Resurrecting the Champ, Raymond, cough), but I will admit true-life newsroom drama would not make for good TV or movies. Not at all. So, Hollywood, please stay away.

Didn't A&E follow around some NY Post/Daily News reporters for a while?

9. Mizzougrad96

I saw a few episodes of that... I don't remember what it was called, but it was pretty interesting...

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

MTV is currently filming its next reality TV venture at a HS newspaper in Florida.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Paper was one of the more accurate movies about the biz. And one of the broadcast contingent can rule on Broadcast News.

12. Mizzougrad96

Which part was accurate? When Michael Keaton screamed "Stop the presses"

Cliched garbage if you ask me...

Real movies about journalism...

Shattered Glass
    Absence of Malice
    All the Presidents Men

Draft saved Draft deleted