1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Stuff You Read This Week 9/12

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Sep 10, 2016.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That sounds like a whole town of people I knew in western Kentucky. My friend had a job, but the other folks I met had dirt front yards and bare bulbs inside for light. Sometimes a pot-bellied pig. Everybody smoked, even the 13-year-old kids. Teen pregnancy wasn't an anomaly, it was the norm. Not a job among them.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No pun intended, but the Coulter piece was sobering, moving into unsettling.

That's either a miserable person, or a person trying on misery as a stylistic device.

Well-written. Can't argue that. But caustic to the point of...ugh.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I had posted the link on another thread in the News/Sports section. I liked the part where the one aide continued to remind Bush to always listen to his mother when it came to the Secret Service.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. I don't live far from Middletown, and though I've covered the high school a few times when they've played one of my area teams, I've never set foot in the town. But the picture that's painted is true for many southwest Ohio cities.

5. Baron Scicluna

Reading the story of the seventh grader who texted pics of her in her underwear to a boy who sent the pics out to the whole school.

Am I the only one who finds it stupid that the Post changed their names for the story, but showed pictures of the girl and her family?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You can't Google her by the picture. You could by the name.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

They didn't show her face, did they? Her hair covered her face in the pic where she's sitting on the couch, I thought.

8. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, but anyone who knew her or her family could just post the link to the story online, and then everyone in her town and school would be talking about her again.

I just think it would have been better for her to just not have pictures of her and her family if they were choosing the anonymous route.

9. Baron Scicluna

But there's one in her kitchen where you see one side of her face.

Even the one with her hair in her face, anyone who knew her would recognize her.

Like I said to LTL, if they wanted anonymity, they probably shouldn't have had pics of her and the family.

10. LongTimeListener

Anyone who knows her and her family knows who they are already.

I'm talking about future college friends, employers, and others who would potentially be doing a Google search in 5-10 years. That's a powerful force. And the picture wouldn't show up then.

Double Down likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

But in the story, the boy had done the same thing to other girls. If nothing else, not having her picture would at least make people on her town have to guess who is the girl being interviewed.

Now, the family may be fine with having the pics out there. But to me, it seems like it defeats the purpose of anonymity.

And any future employer who is going to make their hiring decisions on what an applicant did in seventh grade is a shitty employer.

12. LongTimeListener

Alright. Good talk, Baron. Always enlightening.

JC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted