1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Songs in Commercials

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Dec 3, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That song was used in an episode of Dawson's Creek.

Terrible show, but awesome soundtrack. There was a time when I was unemployed that Dawson's Creek was run back to back in the morning.

I would watch it, and download every song off of limewire.

Orange Sky was one of my favorites.

2. "Home," by Edward Sharpe and the Magnet Zeroes - I'll third that one. I could listen to that song for hours.

My personal favorite was Quiznos using the Sponge Monkeys singing "We Like the Moon". Not everybody's cup of tea but I love the song.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Super Bowl 44 had a pair:

The traditional NFL thanking the fans ad with the opening chords of Arcade Fire's "Wake Up" and the iconic NFL Films slow-motion shot of Reggie Bush leaping over the flag with his outstretched arm and the ball barely in bounds.
    And the Kia Sorrento ad with the Heavy's "How You Like Me Now?" And the kid's toys partying in Vegas.
    And from the iPod ads, the Caesars' "Jerk It Out" (also a fave out of commerical song on Anderson Cooper 360).

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I meant to mention this one in my first post, but forgot too until I just saw it again.

It's running in the Starbucks Christmas adds.

Matt Pond PA: Snow Day

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I first heard this Christmas piece by John Rutter in a non-Christmas Volvo commercial some years ago. While not a huge Rutter fan, this piece is unbelievably moving to me.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Years ago there was a Smirnoff Ice commercial that used "Kick You Out" by the Caesars. It had a bunch of people in a laundromat overfilling the washers with detergent and then dancing in the neck-high suds. It ran every single day during "Pardon the Interruption." Great commercial, mostly due to the song and the one blonde dancing in the bubbles.

7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Brendan Benson's "Tiny Spark" was used for Saturn a few years ago. I think Apple also used a Brendan Benson song for an iPod ad.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Pennzoil. "Shine." Collective Soul.

http://youtu.be/li0OHBpZ958

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Had to lookup the song from the IPod Touch spot. Tongue Tied by Grouplove. Awesome stuff, and made me think of this thread right away.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Rocket Man lyric knockoffs in the current run of VW business are hysterical.

Draft saved Draft deleted