1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Songs in Commercials

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Dec 3, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That would be awesome. Maybe for waterproof mascara.

"You need temporary beauty, and hope to God that it doesn't rain..."

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And I hate to admit it, but the Aflac rap is growing on me.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

State Farm has the "Cheers" theme. Awesome, even it's just insurance.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That one a few years back using "The Times They Are A-Changin'" with the kid wading in the creek always gave me a warm fuzzy. I'll be damned if I can remember what they were advertising, though. I think a bank.

5. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

"We've Been Had" is a phenomenal song that introduced me to the Walkmen. The song was for a car commercial. Also, another car commercial introduced me to a cool band called Ringside with their strong song "Struggle."

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Locksley's The Whip is currently being used by three different ads: American Family Insurance, Owens Community College in Toledo, Ohio, and an NFL commercial with the Lions on a school bus. Bizarre that three different organizations picked it.

It's like musical frosting. Not much nutrition to it, but it's a fantastic pop song.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

"Home," by Edward Sharpe and the Magnet Zeroes. That's one of the few songs where the first time I heard it, on the Ford Fiesta commercial, I just had to get my hands on it. Haven't been disappointed (the song, not the Fiesta).

Same goes for Pomplamoose's "Mister Sandman," which Hyundai used last Christmas, I believe. The lead singer, Nataly Dawn, gives me that special feeling, where I would do anything in the world to ... you know ...

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You guys are missing the best one.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Along those lines, when I first moved to Houston (in 2000) the local Ford dealers had an ad with a rocking country song as the soundtrack, the hook was "Ford is the best in Texas."

I remember thinking, "that is a great original song for a commercial."

A little while later, I learned it was a reworking of "God Blessed Texas." I wasn't nearly as impressed after learning that.

10. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Great call on both, Corky. Home is a cool tune and Nataly Dawn is super cute.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Great song, better commercial:
    Allen Toussaint's "Sweet Touch of Love" in a commercial for Axe Body Spray:

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Back in 2003 or so, Alexi Murdoch's "Orange Sky" was used in a commercial for the Honda Element. And apparently this is no video proof of this, whatsoever. But that's one of my all-time favorite songs.

Draft saved Draft deleted