1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good samaritan sued by victim she saved

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Dec 21, 2008.

1. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I understand the danger in moving an injured individual. Hollywood is to blame, I suppose, for convincing America that cars explode frequently.

That said, as someone who's seen a car fire up close, the ferocity of the flames can be absolutely unbelievable. If you leave the lady in the car and it blows, there's a good chance she's beyond saving.

In other words -- it's a tough call.

What I would really like to know is what the lady said to her rescuer, her friend, as she came to her aid? It would be informative to know whether she said "Leave me be!" or "Get me the heck out of here!" If this went to trial, I imagine the defense could focus on a point like that.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You've never had the adrenaline pumping thinking someone was about to get hurt, huh?

Again, spare me. 7-10.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Simon,

All the issues you raise are why we have juries. They get to hear the facts and decide if the victim's injury was really caused or contributed to by the accused's action and also whether the accused acted reasonable. All of the scenario's you raise may be possible alternatives. Doesn't necessarily mean a lawsuit is frivolous.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

C) being thrown from the vehicle and having it roll on top of them

D) being left on a gurney in a hospital corridor for eight hours or longer

E) parents and/or significant other, after they see the damage to the automobile

F) heart attack or stroke, after receiving a notification of an increase in their insurance premiums

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

yes it does

But it's nice to know the lady-driving-with-McDonald's-coffee-between-her-legs-without-figuring-it-might-be-hot jury is on this board.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You do realize that McDonalds intentionally made their coffee that hot despite knowing that it would cause massive burns if spilled on bare skin and ignored it because they thought customers preferred scaldingly hot coffee that would stay warm longer?

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

And you realize that opening your coffee in a moving car while holding it between your thighs is a stupid thing to do when said beverage is made with boiling water?

8. PopeDirkBenedict

Not all of us live in Canuckistan, where every citizen is guaranteed Universal Cup Holder coverage.

;)

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, fuck it. Just act, baby. Don't bother thinking. Heroes don't think! They act! Fuck yeah! Sounds like you've seen a few too many action movies, amigo.

I'm not saying the samaritan was wrong here. But I'm also not just going to say this person was absolutely did the right thing without hearing just how close this car was to blowing up. And since there's nothing in the article about the car being engulfed in flames at any point, I'm kind of assuming it wasn't about to explode.

Prudence may have been necessary here and, apparently, the state Supreme Court thinks enough of that theory that it believes this should go to trial.

I'll be interested to follow this case and see what kind of evidence is presented.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Nice change of pace, but it's irrelevant to your ridiculous contention which you can no longer legitimately support.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

Like that has ever stopped him before

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's truly a study in the power of memes, that McDonalds coffee story.

No matter how much you tell people that there was a legitimate reason for that woman to sue and that McDonalds was likely at fault, people still cite it as an example of a frivolous lawsuit.

Really makes you wonder about the polling on tort reform.

Draft saved Draft deleted