1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good read on Marshall Henderson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Mar 27, 2013.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ok, closer to 10. I wasn't working and I was half-hammered. But I did hear about it, through a guy who was there and had been texted by Ole Miss fans he's friendly with who were at the game. If this were in many other states or college towns, fans would have been tweeting their butts off and their papers would have heard of it, at least to be able to put it online. The reason why Marshall Henderson does this shit and thinks he's untouchable is it's very clear he's been enabled coaches, administrations and media no matter where he's played.

2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Your age is clearly showing in calling Henderson a "punk," which is a brutal accusation. By all accounts he's a good kid who made a couple of mistakes.

As for why fans enjoy him? Well, he isn't concerned with saying what is best to say, PR-wise. He says what's on his mind. He talks about how he should be paid, which is refreshing honestly from one of the NCAA's slave laborers. Most wait until after they're out of college to clamor for this.

And as journalists, we love him because he fills our notebooks. We wish there were more people like him. No bland quotes. Straight up honesty.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Looks like we're up to our asses in that "refreshing honestly" stuff by now.

He's so cute, though. ... Isn't he?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I agree with NDJournalist. Who among us can't spot the good in a loudmouth racist drug-abusing criminal?

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'd say "punk" sums it up quite nicely.

6. NDJournalist

7. Riptide

"Punk-ass punk" always feels good. I think it's official certification.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

To quote Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, "You gotta be shittin' me Pyle."
    For one think, the word punk isn't a product of my age. It's what kids call each other also. And many kids are calling him a punk. Marshall Henderson is most assuredly a punk and if it's brutal accusation, the shoe is certainly fitting him. And he's not a good kid who has made a "couple" of mistakes. He's been to four colleges, leaving a trail of drug use, counterfeiting, assault and incorrigible behavior behind. He openly refers to women as "hos." He's drinking in between NCAA games (just how hung over was he against LsSalle?)

"From all accounts, he's a good kid?" Maybe from your accounts.

And cut the crap with this "we" stuff as journalists. The lapdog Mississippi media may be eating this up but hardly anyone else is. I can assure you that most journalists and most fans outside the Magnolia State don't want more athletes like this. It's also nothing new for a college kid to opine that he would like to begin getting paid for playing. It's not new and it's not refreshing.

Please. This kid doesn't need more apologists. What he needs is therapy, or for someone to kick his ass.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Hondo, what exactly do you want the Mississippi media to do in regard to Marshall Henderson? The papers who cover Ole Miss regularly (mine does not) have profiled the kid and dug through his past, good and bad. But at some point you have to just accept the fact that he's there and he's going to be there for the immediate future. Are they supposed to get on their soapbox and push for him to get run off? Come at him with pitchforks and torches?

And I just don't think the flipping-the-bird incident at the NCAA Tournament is all that big of a deal. An emotional player coming off the court after a tough season-ending loss in the heat of the moment flips off an abusive fan who was calling his sister a whore. And I'm supposed to be outraged by this behavior? I think not. Hell, I think most people might have expected him to jump in the stands and try to attack the guy. Henderson just flipped the guy off and walked away. BFD.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yes it is a big deal. Is he going to flip off crowds at all of the 12-13 road games Ole Miss will play? Is that good prep for the real world job he'll eventually get, where you just can't flip the bird any fiddle-dee-dum time you want. It doesn't make him Satan or anything, but it's just not something you friggin' blow off. An athlete who has his shit fully together doesn't give a heckler the satisfaction of reaction.

11. Riptide

If I were the coach, Henderson's drinking would alarm me.

12. NDJournalist

He's in college. College people drink. Shocker.

It was between games. He had a drink that we know of. Who says he got hammered?

Lots of people call girls hoes. Rappers do it. He didn't mean it negatively.

Draft saved Draft deleted