1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good read on Marshall Henderson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Mar 27, 2013.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He's white?

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Horseshit. I was hearing about the video and the incident Sunday night in a sports bar (about 9-10 p.m.) about three states over from Mississippi. Embarrassing performance by Mississippi media.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

And at 10 p.m. Sunday, the Mississippi media who were there were on press row working on banging out stories and columns on deadline, and were too busy to go trolling YouTube for video.

Besides, I doubt seriously that you heard about it at 9-10 p.m. Sunday (unless you're on Mountain Time), because that game didn't finish until almost a quarter til 10 (Central).

As for the original question, I guess it depends. When Larry Fedora was football coach at Southern Miss, he let a black running back return to the team after he was caught with five pounds of weed in his trunk.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Black college athletes never get a pass when it comes to criminal behavior? Somebody introduce the writer to Marcus Vick.

This story is merely a fine example of confirmation bias. Writer starts out with a point -- hell, not even that...a notion -- finds some data to fit the point, and ignores, you know, Willie Williams getting chance after chance despite being arrested 7,000 or so times.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nice Willie Williams pull, Alma. That kid was busy.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree. The entire premise is flawed. I have no doubt in my mind Gregg Doyel would have written the same column if Marshall Henderson were black. Many black athletes get away with dumb shit if their teams are good and they are good. That's what it comes down to. Also, in what world has Marshall Henderson been lionized? I have seen many criticisms of him.

Honestly, though, can anyone think of an athlete of any race with the collection of on and off the court issues Henderson has? Stephen Jackson may be the best comparison, but Jackson's off-court issues don't involve the FBI.

Does anyone else have an issue with the lack of links and general attribution in this essay, too? "He told one interviewer" is a ridiculously lazy excuse for attribution. Who was the interviewer? Where did you get the quote? "Henderson told The Clarion-Ledger" in what article? What was the context of the quote?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What if Michael Vick were white?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Henderson reminds me a bit of Jason "White Chocolate" Williams.

9. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

I don't doubt for a second that race is part of this, as it is almost everything in this country, and that white athletes probably get more chances, but the thing missing from that piece was an acknowledgement that talent also determines how many laws you can break and still get to play. To say Henderson was only given multiple chances because he's white ignores the facts that he's also a star player, and that a white guy on the end of the bench would have been long gone had he done the same things as Henderson; it's not simply a black/white issue.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Seems like the type of story Craggs or Scocca would take a chainsaw to for 700 words if it was published somewhere else.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That may be my biggest gripe.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. He's just for better border security.

Draft saved Draft deleted