1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good place to eat in the Big Apple

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Peytons place, Apr 11, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I only been there once but I didn't have any problems. What's your story?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't know a good burger, really, but people tell me PJ Clarke's isn't what it once was. Great place to grab happy hour drinks and the coolest urinals ever created, but I think the food is so so. Supposedly the best burger in NY (open to debate) is the Corner Bistro (Where Jane St., W 4th St. and 8th Ave. intersect).

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think his point is there are better places to eat than a chain restaurant in NYC.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've never been there. Because if I'm in NYC I can eat at hundreds (possibly thousands) of other restaurants that have much better food and aren't chain restaurants.

Edit: Or what Inky said.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

IT'S A CHAIN RESTAURANT THAT YOU CAN EAT AT IN BALTIMORE, OR CLEVELAND, OR ANYWHERE.

If you go to a large city with innumerable hole-in-the-wall family eateries, you should NEVER eat at a chain. You're the person who goes to NYC and eats at the Times Square Olive Garden.

Edit: Dammit.

6. The Big Ragu

Well, if I was going to do a Times Square theme restaurant, I'd probably go with Ruby Foos. If I was visiting New York for the first time, I'd get the hell away from Times Square. You can walk a few blocks into Hell's Kitchen and find dozens of pretty good places to eat ... and more importantly, drink.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Clarke's has fallen considerably from its '60s-'70s glory. Frankly, am surprised they've survived to this point.

8. I'll second Keene's. They are close to Times Square and have excellent lamb chops. Pretty unique place too.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I do not know what your budget is, but NYC is a place where the top-shelf, spend a fortune restaurants can be experiences you remember for a lifetime, and hence are worth it. Better to spend $400 on a meal cooked by Bouley or at Masa than at Yankee Stadium or some Broadway revival.

10. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I just want to thank everyone for all the suggestions. As far as cuisine, neither of us is really too picky. Like someone else noted on here, we mostly just want something that "feels" New York, whatever that means, and not really something we can get in any big city. We'll be eating lunches and stuff, that we hope won't be too costly, but one night, we'd like to do some cocktails and some nice sit-down dinner (steak, seafood, Italian) all OK by us, but $400 is more than I'd like to spend on food, even good stuff. I'd say we might do a $100 apiece or so, which probably cuts out some of the celebrity chefs' places and chef's table type dining.

I'm definitely going to check out the links posted here, and really do appreciate the help. We had no idea where to look and didn't want to spend our trip trying to figure out where to eat.

11. The Big Ragu

Peyton, You can do any of Mario Batali's restaurants at about that budget, except maybe Del Posto (and it's not even as good as some of his other places) if you are into Northern Italian food. I don't know that I'd call it a New York experience, but most of his places make a fine meal and he is a "celebrity chef." I'd recommend Babbo really highly. It's on Waverly Place near Fifth Avenue, in Greenwich Village, right near Washington Square Park. Lupa, down on Thompson Street in Soho, is another good choice. You should make reservations if you decide to do either. Lupa is probably a little better priced, but you can do a nice meal for two at Babbo with a bottle of wine for about $200, I think, and I like it slightly better.

Websites if you want to check them out are:
    http://www.babbonyc.com/restaurant.html

and

http://www.luparestaurant.com/restaurant.html

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

jmacg, Boom, Ragu and Frank Ridgeway helped me so much on my recent trip, I really can't put it in words. I owe those guys SEVERAL beers. Oh, can't leave out spnited, either. He provided some solid info.

We had a pretty good dinner at Frankie & Johnny's on 37th St. Very small place, so it's not the most comfortable or intimate place. Dropped around $200 on a really good meal. I had some HUGE lamb chops, and Mrs. tbf had a filet that wasn't cooked quite right.

There was a very cozy little sushi place on Eighth Ave. around 35th. Wasn't pricey, at all, and they had an amazing fried shrimp appetizer.

Can't beat Grimaldi's, to echo what everyone else has said. They open at 11:30 (I think), and there'll be a line. So get there early. Jacques Torres Chocolate is around the corner and down a few blocks. Top off the pizza with a cup of coffee and some chocolates. Pretty pricey, there, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted