1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Ole Mountain Dew Racist Ad Pulled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 2, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I absolutely do think that's possible, yes. Maybe even probable.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just about every criminal on Bonanza is white. Marcia's boyfriend who stole Greg's playbook? White. :D

And while I understand your point, could you tell me WHO is doing this stereotyping of blacks? And show me some concrete examples from 2013? Ads, TV shows, whatever. I know it USED to be that way. I'm talking about today.

And how it's even possible to "roundly stereotype" anything in a climate where a potentially offensive ad gets yanked three nanoseconds after someone complains?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree but it requires the audience to put a lot of thought into understanding the idea. For example as some have mentioned how many would know that the director was a black rapper / comedian?

In this day and age it's just not worth the risk for companies like Pepsi to get involved in this type of advertising. Either the Pepsi ad execs were sleeping at the switch or they thought down to another level and figured upfront they would pull ad and generate more free publicity than they ever would from running ad multiple times.

4. Boom_70

Don't forget the Taco Bell "Black Taco"

5. Boom_70

The only audience you can offend today is white middle Americans like the poor guy trying
    to teach his son to throw a baseball in the VW ad.

6. Dick Whitman

Right. What Boom said. That kind of subtlety is lost in this format/context for this audience.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

was it Chi-Chi's or El Toritos?:
    "Sometimes you just wanna feel a little Mexican"

which resulted in: "Do you know any little Mexicans"

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"I know a little German."

"He's right over there."

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I love the ADT home security ads. They don't want to go thru this type of bullshit, so every home invader I've ever seen is white.

You put one person of color breaking into a house, and you have a thousand Dick Whitmans furiously typing RACIST on their keyboards.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It ain't a stereotype unless there is some truth to it.

Blacks make up 12 percent of the population and 51 percent of the prison population and are nine times more likely to commit a crime than whites.

So having a bunch of black guys in a lineup is, well, the way things happen pretty much every day.....

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Christ, this. Is it "stereotypical" that the white guy in a suit in the suburbs isn't athletic? Would they have a black dad doing it? Or a black dad missing free throws while teaching his kid.

12. Dick Whitman

Poor, put-upon white suburban dads.

We should start a fund.

Draft saved Draft deleted