1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

good NYT piece on the death of great nicknames

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, May 12, 2011.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

1. Nicknames in general have declined because there's been a societal trend away from addressing people as "Shorty," "Stubby," "One Eye" or "Whitey."

2. There's always been a divide between nicknames that are actually used and stupid cornball nicknames that were made up by sportswriters of the day. I'll bet no teammate ever saw Ted Williams and said, "Hey, how's it hanging, Splendid Splinter."

Jim Maloney, who pitched for the Cincinnati Reds in the '60s, was known to teammates as "Tits" or "Titser" because he had a weird protusion from his chest. That never made it onto the broadcasts. I remember a guy who teammates called "Sir Cheesely" because of the pungency of his frequent flatulence.

An ancient hockey writer told me when the Toronto Maple Leafs had a goaltending tandem of Doug Favell (a notorious skirt chaser) and Dunc Wilson (a notorious barfly), they were known internally as "C*ntly and Drinkly."

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's not even that. It's just the stupid shortening of names because it's easier for players to say, and the media/beat writers pick up on it to sound cool and hip and in the know.

A-Rod. Tulo. CarGo.

Gag me. It's just lazy and unnecessary. Like the shortening of team nicknames. Noles. Canes. Caps. Avs. Rocks/Rox (done both ways -- usually in the same edition -- out here). Again, lazy and unnecessary.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I hate the lazy first-initial-of-first-name/first-syllable-of-last-name combo.

Arnold Holstein doesn't like it, either.

4. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Not that I'm into injuries, but I think we could use a few more Stubbys and Three-Fingers.

Some nicknames are from place and not because of a childhood accident or impediment or what have you.

Too bad we don't get more colorful nicknames like this: Temple's Bill Mlkvy, The Owl without a Vowel.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Short team nicknames do help headline counts, especially when working all summer in Arizona ... although it's not recommended for the University of South Carolina.

As for it morphing into player nicknames: During the Australian Open once, was given a page to proof with the hed "A-Rod advances to second round," meaning Andy Roddick. Spent a good five minutes that I'll never get back trying to tell the designer readers will wonder what Alex Rodriguez was doing in Australia, but having other tasks, finally let it go. The editor had a talk with the designer the next day.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Athletes' regular names are like nicknames now. "He Hate Me" or "Knowshon" or "God's Gift" or "Prince."

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Even Kung Fu Panda is kinda lame. Used to be guys built like Sandoval got hung with a nickname like "Groceries".

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Actually, if you buck too hard for a nickname, you end up like Nickname Damur.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

"Kung Fu Panda" jumped the shark when Mark Grace used it about 30 times on a national broadcast that year.

Carlos' Ruiz's "Chucha" (Colombian slang for body odor/stinky pits) is the best of a small current crop.

Ever been in a clubhouse where it's almost like everyone has to have a nickname? Even the dourest, gloomiest, most personality-deficient clod on the team? Hey, I know what we'll do -- we'll just add a -y on the end for that guy. Now even he has a nickname.

Draft saved Draft deleted