1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good non-mainstream beers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chester, Mar 22, 2008.

1. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

Yes, the BridgePort Brewery I'm referring to was in the Pearl District. If there's a heaven, that place is pretty damned close.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

My marvelous wife got me one of my favoritest Christmas gifts ever this year, a year's membership in a microbrew beer of the month club here: http://www.beermonthclub.com/

Each month, I get three bottles of three different kinds of beer (usually six from one brewery, one from another). So great to look forward to, even though the first month brought me perhaps the single worst beer I've ever had. (Never, ever get Vanilla Java Porter from Atwater Block Brewery in Detroit. Tastes like an ashtray would have to tastes.) That company also does wine, cigar, chocolate, flower and cheese clubs.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Didn't know such a thing existed--that's an awesome gift idea.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The girlfriend loves the Seadog Blueberry Wheat. Also like Leine's Berry Wheat.

I'll drink just about whatever my bartender gives me, since he has not steered me wrong yet. Tried an 8-ball stout last week, and it was delicious.

So was something called a Kellerbrau. It's German, comes in a big bottle and goes down smooth.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'll drink to the Fat Tire and Moose Drool with a chilled mug of Leiney's Sunset Wheat.

6. lono

lono Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm with you and Pallister. Fat Tire is terrible.

8. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

I wouldn't say Fat Tire is terrible. But I don't think it's the best ever, either. Not that I've ever turned one down.

9. Beachey

Beachey Member

Took a tour of the Celis Brewery, it has to be over 10 years ago when I was in Texas. I heard Miller bought them and killed Celis White because it competed with Blue Moon.

I will have to find some Celis White when I am back home in Upstate New York.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fat tire is a damn solid beer choice. just because you don't like darker beers doesn't make fat tire terrible. it actually broke new ground for the time in which it was created.

it's a classic beer with a classic taste.

11. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Anything from the Fort Collins breweries.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Ah, the every-so-often beer thread and it's ability to let me mention my favorites:

Fat Tire
    Firestone Double Barrel Ale (Paso Robles, Cali.)
    Leffe (Belgium beers)
    Flying Dog Amber -- tried it for the first time when I was in Denver for the World Series and it was delicious.
    I also recommend that people flock to Golden, Colo. and head for the SECOND largest brewery in Golden because inside this tiny little house they brew six different beers and they're all very solid. There's a few tables outside to enjoy a few card games and chat with other interesting people.

Draft saved Draft deleted