1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good non-mainstream beers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chester, Mar 22, 2008.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Smithwick's is an offshoot of Guinness so that definitely doesn't count. I guess Yuengling counts but everyone knows about it. I would recommend Otter Creek and Magic Hat as two local brews (Vermont) which are really good.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If Fat Tire counts, Yuengling counts. Both are regional.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I figured, but I'm drunk off of it so I'm not thinking at the highest level right now.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Worse beer I've ever tasted.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No. It's owned by Coors.

So is Blue Moon.

There's so many out there. Try to get something that you can only get in your part of the country. If I still lived in Georgia, I'd be mainlining Terrapin, which is out of Athens.

Most of Stone's stuff is very good. Their IPAs are tremendous.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Given what you normally drink, you have the worst taste in beer I've ever seen :p

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Boulevard is a fine wheat beer. I have a 12-pack in my fridge, along with four Moose Drools.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm quite proud of my terrible taste in beer. I never have to worry about someone else drinking it.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Some of us have no taste at all. Really. :)

10. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

I'll third the Boulevard recommendation. Worst thing about moving out of the KC area.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm always up for an Anchor Steam when I'm in Cali. Ghettoblaster outta Detroit. (Hi, Fly!)

Here in southern Ontario, anything by Sleeman (I'm partial to their dark beer), Creemore (tremendous bock too), Upper Canada Dark (exquisite on tap) and Hockley Valley.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Leinenkugel was bought out by Miller, but Sunset Wheat is still The Crack of Beers® in my book.

Favorite beer in Germany was Licher Pils.

Draft saved Draft deleted