1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good news for the Devil Rays and Royals!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Apr 1, 2007.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Will they fork up the $$$ to keep all those kids once they get good?

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That's the big question isn't it? They proved they can afford a couple of big contracts (Sweeney, Meche), but if/when Gordon, Butler, Gload have breakout seasons, will they lock them in like they did DeJesus?

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I don't think Dayton Moore would've taken the job if that were the case. I'm not saying they'll keep EVERYBODY, because who does keep everybody these days? Moore is from the general area. He knows that people in KC are just dying... dying, I say... for a good baseball team. Hell, even a .500 baseball team. I'm sure that Moore also knows that even the least shred of promise -- like the 2003 Royals -- means that Monday's electric atmosphere won't be a one-shot wonder.

The Glass family finally pulled its collective head out of its ass by hiring Moore. Dude's been in KC less than a year, and his mark is already all over the team. Pitchers are all new. Last year, Dougie Alphabet was hitting third. This year, the lineup, provided it stays healthy, has the chance to be sneaky good.

If Moore thought the Royals would be what they have been -- a club that develops talent only to let it slip when payday comes -- I don't think he'd be here. I'm admittedly giddy, even though this year could be another 90-loss season. There's finally a light at the end of the tunnel.. and it's getting brighter.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I believe they will do that. Dayton Moore took the job under the condition there was no meddling, that he would be free to make decisions as he saw fit. And of there was any indication that that Glass might keep his word, there was the Gil Meche signing for $55 million.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It makes you think Moore offered Meche that much just to see what Glass would do.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

A true test, no doubt. Glass never would have made that decision.

Moore says he and his scouts felt that among the free agent crop this past offseason, only Meche had the staff to blossom into an ace, like Chris Carpenter and Jason Schmidt did at the same age. So they targeted him.

Draft saved Draft deleted