1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good news (for once) in Tampa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 23, 2009.

1. MLancaster

MLancaster New Member

Just wanted to chime in and echo those above in congratulating both Roger Mooney and the Tribune/TBO/WFLA fam for this hire. I have no doubt this will end up being an outstanding move for all involved. In terms of both reporting and writing abilities and just being great people to have on staff, Roger and Scott will undoubtedly provide a huge boost.

My friends there have to be feeling much more optimistic than they did a year or so go, given not only that corporate allowed two hires to be made but also that they were such strong hires.

2. And also let me add, for those who don't know, Roger could cover a 30-foot wall with all the writing awards he's won.

And I'll echo the fact he's a great guy and will get along with everyone there.

Congrats Roger.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Both are great guys and will do well. Very encouraging (beyond the Trib staff) to see a paper with two unexpected but key openings fill both with outside hires. Not many good signs around like that ...

4. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Awesome, awesome hires by the Trib. Can't believe I'm saying that, but perhaps they've seen the error of their ways?

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

One more note on Roger. He's the kind of guy that would cover a prep football game Friday night, then turn around and drive hours to cover a college game in Gainesville the next day. Or cover the Super Bowl one week and prep volleyball the next. And NEVER complain. He's a pro's pro.

6. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

BTW, I understand he's celebrating the good news with one last McClatchy furlough week

Draft saved Draft deleted