1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good mix of video and written reporting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

2. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, how much traffic does video bring to your respective websites? I've always wondered if the page views warrant the amount of time and effort that goes into multimedia.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Good question. I NEVER watch videos unless it's something unusual or funny. But I don't know if I am an exception. If I go to ESPN.com or CNN or whatever and a news story only has video, I'll find something I can read about the story elsewhere.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I do the same. I want the detailed reporting before I watch the video.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Depends on the video. We've had videos we thought wouldn't get any hits get a bunch, and ones we thought would be web gold not get any. I'm like the previous replies, though -- I generally avoid videos and look for a story instead.

But even if you don't get a ton of hits on most videos, it pays off when you get that one everyone wants to see. If we had been doing video of press conferences when Mike Gundy went nuts about being a man, we would've been golden.

6. KWinMo

KWinMo New Member

One of the big benefits of adding video to the story is that it ups the engagement time on a story. Even if let's say 1 in 5 people watches the 45-second video, that's still an additional 45 seconds someone spent engaged with the story, and that's a good thing.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

The biggest part is how much ad revenue is tied to videos. It all depends on the market you're in, but the value of a single video view is, in general, exponentially higher than a single page view.

8. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I can see that, Matt.

For those of you interested in video, what do you use to publish your exported videos? Our shop and a bunch of others use NDN, but I'm not a fan. However, I understand that's the best way for us to make money off our videos, but it takes forever to load and is fairly low-res compared to Vimeo and YouTube.

9. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

That is exactly my process. It is such a pain to wait through those video advertisements, and the video usually has the same information as any story.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The video with this story was good, though. Really good story, too.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to know how many consumers actually watch a five-minute video to conclusion.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Videos longer than three minutes have lower completion rates than stories longer than 30 inches on our site.

Draft saved Draft deleted