1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Lord, the LA Times sports page looks like garbage today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 20, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Owned one for about a week. Weak single compared to the Dodgers story, which is bigger for the Times than the Series, for sure. Most days there's another chapter of "As the Dodgers turn," I'll use the Times over AP.

2. JPsT

JPsT Member

Also wondering this. He had something run Monday, so I'm guessing he's still there.

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Yes, Sam Farmer is still at the Times and he is doing a pretty good job but I agree with everyone that said the Times Sports section is not what it used to be and please correct me if I am wrong. But, the Los Angeles Times has not been very Los Angeles for quite a while as they want to go more New York Times and be the newspaper of the word instead of the newspaper for the city of Los Angeles. That, also mean's they could have written about the Minnesota stadium development and how it will affect LA.

ESPNLA.com does a better job at covering Los Angeles then the newspaper that thinks it is the newspaper of record for this city. Also, again just my two cents but it is not worth picking up for $1 dollar a day anymore and the sports section has been garbage for a while, just look at it as it has 4-8 pages of car ads.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The L.A. Times has, among big sections, a surprising number of not-great/bad writers. Erskine's already been called out, so I don't feel bad naming him. But let's just say, there are at least 10 newspaper sports sections I can name that I prefer reading on a regular basis to the Times, which at one time was one of the top two or three, if it wasn't the very best.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My bad on Farmer being the national NFL guy.

6. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Seeing the old San Diego edition of the Times was one reason I got into this business in the first place. Nightengale, Buster and Simers all writing from a bureau! That deserves a Good Lord!

7. printdust

printdust New Member

pdf link please.

8. CNY

CNY Member

The Times posts the current day's cover on its site.
    http://www.latimes.com/includes/sectionfronts/C1.pdf

Draft saved Draft deleted