1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Lord, the LA Times sports page looks like garbage today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 20, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Worse than the Herschel Walker trade or Randy White for Craig Morton?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I know, asking for context not absolutism. Hate to thread jack it, but it's over paying for a desperate need, but one of the worst all time trades.[/at least it's too early for that hyperbole]

3. PCLoadLetter

Yeah, might be a little dramatic...

But they traded potentially two first-round picks for a washed-up, semi-retired quarterback because their starting quarterback -- who they like -- is injured and will miss several games.

Even Al wouldn't have done that.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No national baseball writer? Did Bill Shaikin leave? He's been all over the McCourt divorce story. I noticed they had Kevin Baxter at the Series instead of the Dodger or Angels beat writer? And is Sam Farmer not the NFL guy any more?

5. PCLoadLetter

Are you really going to argue that?

I grew up reading the Times every morning. Somehow they managed to find stories to fill a section twice that size in the slowest parts of the year.

I was going through and pointing out that each example of why there was nothing to report was off-base. They could always cover other stuff that wasn't on the list... like, you know, game one of the World Series.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

LA's had crappy teams lots of times... the sports page has never looked like this.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

TTIUWOP

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Shaikin is the national baseball writer. He is locked in to the McCourt story, which he owns. How many of you have ever owned a story that has been ongoing for more than a year?

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

There will be more than that, I assure you (flack'sagencyhelpingMLShere) ;)

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I grew up with the World Champion. Devoured it every morning. First thing I pick up when I go back home, after a double-double. My goal was to work there some day. Hopefully, it's not as bad as is being portrayed. But lots of newspapers have taken steps back, sadly. Hell, the local broadsheet out here didn't even send anyone to the World Series and only did a glorified refer off the sports front this morning for the World Series, so at least Baxter is there. I guess.

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Stories on ESPNLA that were not in the LA Times:
    Angels GM search continues
    Hopkins decision overturned
    UCLA basketball ranked in preseason top 20

Stories that LA Times didn't give justice that were on the ESPNLA.com website
    UCLA vs Arizona football game
    USC Marc Tyler story (They are playing Notre Dame this weekend)
    Galaxy soccer story
    Kings hockey story

Plenty to write about without a national angle.

12. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I lived in Southern California for a while in the '90s. The sports section in the Times was incredible. Working there was a goal of mine, too, although an extremely unrealistic one in my case. I've never seen a better sports section, or even one as good. (Admittedly, I was not around for the halcyon days in the '70s and '80s.) And they did it every day. Sad to hear that the decline has been so steep.

Draft saved Draft deleted