1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Labor Day thought for those outside the gated communities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Sep 4, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

[​IMG]

Ignoring a Yawn thread doesn't mean I'm apathetic to issues affecting the working class, my huckleberry friend. It's front-and-center in my mind every day because it's my fucking life.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The assault on labor unions certainly went into high gear during the Reagan administration and has continued ever since. However, I was disappointed in the Clinton administration's lack of sufficient effort to reverse the trend. He was too busy triangulating, I suspect, with the blessing of the Democratic Leadership Council -- an organization that seems to believe fightiing for working people runs counter to the party's increasingly business-friendly objectives.

These days Republicans understand they are pro-business while many "new" Democrats, like Clinton, seem to be trying and straddle the fence on labor issues. They pay lip service to labor and working class issues but in the end they know where their money comes from.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

True. Clinton was no Lefty. All politics in this country have shifted so far to the corporate right that the sort of Progressivism long associated with the Democratic Party is a mere memory.

Still, I was hoping for the author of the thread to weigh in with his historical analysis of the labor movement in this country vis a vis 21st century job loss, stagnant wages and outsourcing. Ah well.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

That's a proud Congressional tradition.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

But your liberal heroes - like Clinton - did nothing to reverse this trend, did they? Reagan made no secret of his attitude toward the unions, as curious as that was since he was part of one as an actor. While I think he stands great on foreign policy issues, that was a flaw for me. But he didn't hide it. Democraps are hypocrites...saying they are for the working man but failing to deliver.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Hey pud, thanks for proof positive you need this more than me.... you clearly have an obsessive disorder....

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Uh, Yawn, your hero St. Ronnie was not "part of one as an actor"

He was the freaking president of the Screen Actors Guild before he became the President who decide to break unions such as the Air Traffic Controllers... which is a hell of a good way to get your name put on an airport, by breaking a union and making air travel less safe.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Why assume I'm a "liberal?" Or that Clinton was one of my "heroes?"

And the fact that Clinton was such a centrist sort of undercuts your whole "ultraliberal left" meme , doesn't it?

Gutless and inconsistent is no way to go through life.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Is not the Screen Actors Guild the actors union?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes. moron, and I'm saying he was not just "part of the union" he was the fucking head of the union and then became an anti-unionist as a piece of shit Presient.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's Yawn. Why expect anything but name-calling and drivel?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I guess my question is when do people -- the vast majority of us -- wake up and realize that without this sort of progressivism they will continue be onlookers in the country's economic growth. An awful lot of people seem to think they're on the capital side of the equation these days because they have a 401-K. They nod their heads in agreement to business reports that tell them job cuts and wage increases that don't keep up with inflation are OK because they'll improve stock prices and keep America globally competitive. Maybe we're all doing just fine and I don't realize it. But I doubt it.

Draft saved Draft deleted