1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Labor Day thought for those outside the gated communities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Sep 4, 2007.

1. rallen13

rallen13 Member

By the way, Yawn, I was forced to retire four years ago, thereby freezing my monthly teacher retirement which can now never be increased. I did so because it was either retire or lose my Social Security benefits because Bubba didn't think I should be able to get both. I paid into both, and by Damn I should have the right to draw both. My SS $ weren't all that, but the Medicare/medicade, etc. was very valuable to my future. Additionally, my retirement came BEFORE I was financially able to do so, but I had to anyway. So, now I am working full time again, and at best calculation, will have to continue to do so until I am 78 years old before I can quit. Some retirement, huh? The Dem's giveth SS, the Rep's taketh it away. How about that? And ACE is right, the CEO's get theirs first. And if you will check, they all eat Ben Stein's shorts.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Exactly! Which is why we need a new political system. One that has the best interests of the working class in mind. One that views all the workers as community, working against the elites.

What I'm trying to say is that a spectre is haunting Europe America -- the spectre of communism. All the powers of old Europe have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: Pope and Tsar, Metternich and Guizot, French Radicals, German police-spies and members of the SportsJournalists.com nation.

Where is the party in opposition that has not been decried as communistic by its opponents in power? Where is the opposition that has not hurled back the branding reproach of communism, against the more advanced opposition parties, as well as against its reactionary adversaries?

Two things result from this fact:

I. Communism is already acknowledged by all European powers to be itself a power.

II. It is high time that Communists should openly, in the face of the whole world, publish their views, their aims, their tendencies, and meet this nursery tale of the spectre of communism with a manifesto of the party itself.

To this end, Communists of various nationalities have assembled in London and sketched the following manifesto, to be published in the English, French, German, Italian, Flemish and Danish languages. (And Spanish if you press #2).

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

andyouare? rallies the soccer moms at his local school board meeting.

[​IMG]

4. rallen13

rallen13 Member

I can't support you on that, andyouare. Despite my gripes with BOTH parties, I still lkie having the right to choose. As has been said, "Democaracy is the worst for of government on earth. Except for all the others." (Or something like that.) Still, it has outlasted all other forms except constitutional monarchy.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It has outlasted all other forms except all the ones still in use, which would include communism in a little place I like to call China.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

North Korea and Cuba are absolutely thriving under it too...

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I didn't say it was any good, I was just pointing out that it is inaccurate to say that democracy has "outlasted all other forms of government."

8. As soon as I read andyouare's post, I swear, I could hear jmac unrolling the posters.
    I beat him to this one, though:

[​IMG]

And AQB, isn't it interesting that the only places that still are communist are communist countries against whom we made actual war.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

P
    If so, well, that's a mature reaction for sure.

Well, all that's left to say is this...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey numbnuts, anything to say to rallen?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's time, buddy.

[​IMG]

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

What delightful gibberish!

Perhaps the author of this thread could expound on the idea that the postmodern age of union-busting began under Mr. Reagan - and then relate the notion of Republican kneejerk anti-unionism to this paragraph from the piece he posted.

But over the last three decades this important institutional counterweight has been drastically diminished. Unions now represent just 7.4 percent of the private sector labor force, as compared with 35 percent in the 1950s. This is due to a series of assaults on organized labor, including commercial agreements that made it easier for US companies to seek low-wage, low-regulation (e.g. Mattel in China) production elsewhere. But the biggest change of all is the erosion of American workers' right to organize unions, to the point where it barely exists.

I suspect not.

Draft saved Draft deleted