1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Labor Day thought for those outside the gated communities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

http://www.cepr.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1291&Itemid=45

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

No responses - well this begs a question.

Why are the board's liberals left on foreign policy but when it comes to issues of labor, go silent?

It's kind of like speaking to a D-(name the state).

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So it's automatically a left-vs.-right issue? That's probably why you got no responses.

Ironically, I agree wtih much of what was being said. I left a newspaper job making exactly the same as I did four years earlier...all my miniscule raises were eaten up by insurance premium increases. It definitely is the case that a majority of Americans DON'T benefit from a robust economy.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Republicans are financed by those who do. They in turn, give no support to the working class.

Democrats are financed by those who do, and give more lip service than actual action to benefit the working class.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The apathy with which the thread was greeted probably says it all, don't ya think?

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

My point exactly.

Typical liberal response...and why they are not good for public policy.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

How about a wage increase? Well, the average real wage today is just where it was nearly five years ago, in December 2002, despite the fact that our economy and productivity have been growing the whole time.

So tell me moron, what party has been in contol for most of the past five years?
    How is this a conservative-liberal issue, except in your pea brain?

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

He's got a point there yawn. And I think the fact that there's been so little response is because it was started by you...it has very little to do with the issue itself. One of those attack the messenger, not the message deals. But, you bring it on yourself.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yawni seems to be blaming the Democrats for not fighting the Republicans hard enough. Personally, I'm willing to take little or no pay increase as long as the CEOs get theirs.

10. rallen13

rallen13 Member

If you reall think that atricle is a political issue, then how about this. I am a 32-year veteran teacher in Texas. From my first contract in 1975, I got fairly decent annual raises called "steps" until the Republicans took over this "right-to-work" state (which means no unions and strikes are illegal). Since then, the only decent raises have gone to new teachers, some of whom (with incentives for special subject areas) make more than five-year veterans. That sure as Hell isn't the fault of Democrats. Remember, Bubba was Gov before he took over D.C., and his bootlicker Rick Perry has been in charge here ever since. You can convince some of the people that the GOP is good for them, but teachers won't buy that crap. Not in the Lone Star State, anyhow. My new son-in-law just went to work for an auto dealership and made more his first month than I did. What's wrong with this picture?

11. rallen13

rallen13 Member

And no, my typos have nothing to do with my education. They have more to do with trying to post during my 21-minute lunch break, the only "scheduled " break I get each day. Sometimes I do get a non-scheduled break. That's when I am usually able to post.

12. Somebody got more substance than they bargained for.
    Ruh-roh!

Draft saved Draft deleted