1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Klosterman story in Esquire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I also don't understand the fascination with this guy. Sorry.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

On the other hand, I loved the conclusion of the article. He was basically commenting on whether sports color commenators were better on tv or better on the field. He finished with Sean Salisbury, and after ripping the hell out of him, said Salisbury was a better player. But he made clear that Salisbury sucked mightily as a player too.

4. That was a lot like shagging a fat girl.

It was pretty enjoyable, but I'm not sure I want my buddies to know about it.

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

his style is affected
    kind of arch and fey and "this is beneath me, why bother?"

man, the second act thing - what a cliche -
    that's almost as lame as starting a story with a definition from Webster's

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Without even reading the article, but perhaps that's the point?

After all, what's more cliche than the ex-jock announcer?

7. Klosterman can be funny in small doses. Unfortunately, he doesn't write in small doses.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He gets a ton of slack from me for his "attention" to SS.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'm just fascinated by his use of semicolons. I've never read someone that uses so many. Not a criticism, just sayin'.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Esquire is starting to get stale for me and this article kind of encapsulates it. It tries to be overtly intellectual (see first two massively overwritten paragraphs) and then regular guy-smarmy ("a lot of people who watch baseball on TV are fucking idiots"). Neither way works for me. I'm good with breaking down jock-broadcasters (nice call on Favre-sniffing Theismann), but please trim the fat.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Just never got him ... not this story, not any story. Maybe it's a generational thing ... but I doubt it.

YHS, etc

12. Holy crap. Am I the only one out there who owns a dog-eared copy of "Fargo Rock City"?

Draft saved Draft deleted