1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Iverson story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Completely random and unrelated aside: He's married.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was not so turned on by his words that I wanted to reach out to him to see what he was doing Saturday night, no.

I was letting him know that this site had appropriated his story with no credit: http://www.blackmediascoop.com/2013/04/22/i-cant-even-buy-a-cheeseburger-the-fall-of-a-i/

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

To be fair, I'd already read the story so I didn't click on hondo's link. When I did today to make sure I wasn't imagining (though I remembered the lede) I was flustered for a split second before realizing what had happened. Most stories have like a /5/ or whatever at the end to note page number. WaPo URLs just apparently change that really long number.

It IS a peeve of mine on this site how many people paste the last page of something, or worse, the mobile version of something. Ack.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The ideal way to view the story: http://wapo.st/Zl0668

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Apparently, BlackMediaScoop thinks this credit line at the end of the copy-and-paste job is credit enough:

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What's with the swipe site adding the "Damn." at the end?

Before the other added ending, I mean.

What a content ripoff. Especially on a site that hypes "scoops."

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Guess what fuckup: I can use the Internet pretty fucking well.

It ain't my motherfucking job to sleuth out the author of a column. It ain't the readers' motherfucking jobs to Google "Georgetown Thompson," "Iverson bowling alley incident," "Iverson divorce" or "Iverson rant" to figure out what they are, if they don't know all this shit instantly upon reading (as, of course, I did).

It's the job of the fucking column (the end result, after being generated by the writer, edited by the copy desk, formatted and laid out by the web crew) to tell them that.

It didn't, so it fails. This is junior high school journalism shit.

Would it have been (is it) a pretty good story if somebody spent about 90 seconds to fix those problems? Sure. But nobody did.

It's like you buy a brand new Maserati, wheel it off the lot into the street, hit the gas and find out nobody spent 90 seconds to tighten the lug nuts.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Way to compound your initial (somewhat understandable) mistake by digging a much deeper hole. Did you not read the posts after yours? The link hondo posted started on the final of five pages of the story. If you want to get pissed at anyone, get pissed at hondo for not posting the first page of the story. All the points you made in your initial post were covered in the story, just not in the part of the story you read because you weren't on the first page.

Someone as smart as you claim to be should have been able to figure that out at some point.

9. This can't seriously be real, right?

I mean, it's hilarious, I just can't tell if it's a very well-done joke or an incredible brain fart-turned-Hulk smash.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Why did the writer write the story backwards? Seems odd to start it on page 5.

11. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

We talking about what page Hondo posted? Not the story. Not the story that Kent Babb poured his heart and soul into. But the page Hondo posted. I know we're supposed to post the first page. I know that. I'm not trying to shove that aside. But we talking about the page Hondo posted?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I certainly hope so. Because this is motherfucking great.

90 seconds, bitches!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted