1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Iverson story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

There's an MLB guy in my town, grew up here, lives here in the offseason. Married to his high school sweetheart. Keeps popping out kids. Mid-30s, definitely at the end of his career. In fact, have had pretty meager contracts the last few years. But every time he signs somewhere, they spend money like it will never end. He had a couple decent contracts, but never mega-money. Nothing saved. It's pretty obvious to everyone but them that when his career quietly ends, that not only will they not be able to afford their current lifestyle, they don't really have a means to re-invent a life with, you know, salaries.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

The problem as I see it is that many pro athletes never grow up. That's why it doesn't end well for many of them.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Why hasn't it gotten through pro athlete's heads that they could save a ton of money if they'd just buy some Trojans?

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

That isn't the case with many athletes Hondo. The fact is they are pampered and miss a large step in the maturity process that others go through.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's not a good story -- it's a horrible story.

First: No byline or column credit. Who the hell is it by?

Next, in the lede graf, "Thompson" is brought in with no identification. Of course all of us here on SportsJournalists.com know who "Thompson" is, but will the average reader?

Then "the bowling alley incident" is tossed into the mix with no further background or elaboration. Again, everybody HERE knows what "the bowling alley incident" was, but average readers won't. IT happened 20 years ago and hasn't really been talked about very much after Iverson left college.

Skip down a couple grafs. We are told that Michel talked to Iverson about "the divorce." Who got divorced? Again, hardcore hoops freaks know the details but Joe Sixpack Reader won't.

Then, there's a reference to "the famous rant." Again, no background -- none -- as to what "the rant" is. And again, of course WE all know but again many readers may not.

This is what you get when you lay off all the copy editors.

Whoever wrote this column/story, I sure hope he/she storms into the SE's office and raises hell about it.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

The link takes you to the last. Questions answered on the first.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good lord.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is on the level of shockey's April Fool's Day pratfall in the Old Men Can't Use the Internet pantheon.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm at work so I can't devote much time to it. I looked at the story and can't see a "contact Kent Babb" link. Can someone tell me his email address, or at least how the WaPo generally designs their email addys? Babb's or the SE's, I'm not super picky.

Thanks.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It appears he still does not have an authors page (like this one: http://wapo.st/ZkXN3d), but if the Post's standard format applies, his would be babbk@washpost.com.

Never mind that, his is kent.babb@washpost.com.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I got it. Thanks, Verse!

Draft saved Draft deleted