1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good idea... or GREAT idea!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by McNuggetsMan, Mar 20, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I too am getting married this summer.

My fiancee approved the playing of Hail to the Victors as we enter the reception hall. She's even learned the timing of the fist pumps during the song.
    She's also approved me filling out official baseball line-up cards listing the wedding party and the "positions each play" (i.e. Best man, groomsmen, ring bearer, etc.). Around these parts, it's the new thing to list who all is in your wedding party and hand it out to your guests (not sure why!)
    Oh, I also have a bet with my best man (he's a HUGE Knicks fan). If the Knicks make the playoffs, I have to wear a Patrick Ewing jersey throughout dinner.

A friend of mine was a huge wrestling fan and he and his wife entered to Stone Cold Steve Austin's song, breaking glass included.

Another friend was a lacrosse player, the wedding party hid lacrosse sticks under tables and were introduced first. The doors closed behind the wedding party, they got the sticks and raised them up making an arch and the bride and groom then entered and walked between two lines of the party members and under the sticks.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

folo-up on sheppard: i see him again at giants stadium about four years ago. he's seated in the dining area having pre-game brunch before a giants game. i figure, "this may be my last chance to thank him again." i'd sent him a note after the wedding.

anyway, i go up to him and say, "excuse me, mr. sheppard, my name is shockey. i don't know if you remember me but..."

and he looks closer at me, points his finger in recognition and says in that voice, "the wedding!"

so i blabber my thanks. he says, "are you still married?"

i told him 15 years and three boys worth.

"that's all the thanks i need," he says.

then he proceeds to tell me how much trouble my wedding caused him. someone at the wedding actually wrote an item about it in the ny daily news a few days later.

"i started getting requests from so many people to do the same for them," he said, "but yours is the only one i've ever done."

p.s. -- the first time i took my oldest son to a yankee game at the stadium, sheppard starts announcing the lineups and little shockey says, "hey, dad, isn't that the guy from your wedding movie?" ;D :eek: 8)

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I've been to two weddings where the bride and groom entered the reception to the Chicago Bulls intro.

My brother, on the other hand, and his wife entered to that techno song they play during the intros at Lambeau Field...all the guys had cheeseheads and the girls had Packers visors...not my choice, but it was fun.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

We had the wedding and the reception at the synagogue. So it was the wedding in the sancutary. The cocktail hour in a large foyer and then the reception in the synagogue's banquet hall.

My wife (and MIL) wanted a band while I was thinking DJ. We came up with a compromise and got a band whose leader would be willing to play some CDs/MP3s for songs we wanted to hear by the original artist. It was a good compromise and he followed our request to NOT play any of the following: Macarena, Electric Slide, Chicken Dance, any line dance or group dance.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

no "hava nagila?" ??? 8) ???

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

We had "hava nagila" and about 20 minutes more of various horas.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Marilyn Manson's "Cake and Sodomy," perhaps?

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

There's a Duke lacrosse joke in there somewhere, but I got nothing right now.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Nice.

I'm hoping to enter to the Imperial March, myself.

10. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

UPDATE! I pitched the idea to her last night. Her reaction was basically a look that said "That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard," but her lips said "Well, if that's what you really want to do, I guess we could."

So victory for my stupid idea. All I have to do now is find that song somewhere. I googled for an hour last night and couldn't find it. Anyone know where I can get a copy?

11. Am I alone in thanking a generous god that the phrase "fist pumps" has appeared on this thread?
    I mean, am I?
    And shock, that's a great saga.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Uh, if she says if that's what you really want to do, DON'T DO IT. It's a trap. You pitch an outrageous idea in hopes she'll go for something, while still outrageous, is not completely over the top.

Draft saved Draft deleted