1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Idea Dan, But You Forgot To Bring the Funny

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Dan Shaughnessey pretending to blog as Curt Schilling.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/03/26/famous_guest_blogs_in/?page=1

38 Pitches response:

http://38pitches.com/

For the record, I am a Sox fan, and I think Schilling is a complete tool.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Shucks. I see this was covered on the Tiny Asian Wife thread. Apologies.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Any way to drive more traffic to "Tiny Asian Wife" is appreciated.

But DD, you're right. As I said on the TAW thread, Schilling is ripe for satire. But Shaughnessy's attempt falls waaaay short. Plus, it devolves into a typically grumpy, paint-by-numbers attack on BLLOOOOGGGSSSS!!! of a type with which readers of this site will be painfully familiar.

Although Shaughnessy's effort did turn up this fairly amusing response: http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2007/03/blogs-bad-old-media-good-nerds-nerdy.html

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Not to mention the fact that the column takes fewer shots at Schilling, and way more at the Sox fanbase. Seems pretty stupid to me.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Fucking embarrassing effort by Shaughnessy.

The arrogance of guys like him, who ask far less probative questions than the Schilling bloggers, comes across as pure, humorless petulance.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

yeah the firejoemorgan.com analysis says it all. it's a juvenile, lazy, hackneyed piece. bloggers live in their mom's basement! yuk yuk

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sorry, it cracked me up. It's absolutely juvenile. It's certainly lazy. But I laughed all the way through it. Of course, I, too, think Schilling is a self-important blowhard.

8. Ah, find me the "probative questions" here in the comments.
    I'll wait.

9. Mighty_Wingman

How bout:

That took about 10 seconds. It ain't exactly Bob Woodward, but it's a reasonably interesting question. And nothing like the sycophancy Shaughnessy says (assumes?) is taking place in Schilling's little Q&A's.

10. Mighty_Wingman

10 seconds later, here's another one:

Grammatical? Not so much. But probing? I think so.

11. And neither one, of course, would have occurred to any professional journalist.
    Hey, the column is a burlesque, well within bounds. It's execution is a matter of taste, but if those are the best two you can find amid all the "Curt, your blog is way cool" dross, my point is made, I think.

12. Mighty_Wingman

I'm not following...

Draft saved Draft deleted