1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good help is hard to find

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Sep 23, 2013.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

So we go into the local chain grocery store on Sunday to pick up a few things.

We're checking out, and the clerk with a vacant glaze on her face asks me if the corn on the cob we got is still marked 2 for a dollar. I say yes, and we have 6 ears. She says OK, then rings it up as 12 dollars. I tell her that's wrong, that it should be 3 dollars total, for 6 ears. She just looks at me with more of a vacant stare and says, no, 12 dollars is right. So I use my fingers to explain it: 2 ears for 1 dollar, 4 ears for 2 dollars and 6 ears for 3 dollars. Finally it registers and she giggles as she fixes it - and rings up my pears for a second time. I point that out, and she apologizes and asks for the pears and tomatoes back from the bagboy. She takes the pears off and rings up the tomatoes for a second time. I point that out and she says no, it was only once. I point to the 2 identical charges for tomatoes on the screen and she insists it's only on there once.

At that point, I gave up because the poor people in line behind me were getting held up and I knew they probably were going to have similar difficulties.

I paid, then went straight to customer service to get the money back for the extra tomatoes. I was explaining what all happened and how I would have been overcharged by about $15 if I hadn't been paying attention, and it's bad when a customer has to be that vigilant about their checkout person, when a second customer service clerk overheard it and said to the one who was helping me, "Let me guess, it was Shannon?" The first one says, "Yep", gives me my money back and then highlights Shannon's name and the e-mail of the store manager on the bottom of the receipt.

I'm guessing the message was for me to e-mail in a complaint, but for fuck's sake, what happened in the hiring process where this waste of a human brain could be chosen for a job?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I like the name Shannon.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Red light on that one. Her yellowed, rotting, too small for their place teeth gave her a spot-on snaggletooth look. And the one arm that was sleeved in bright 4-color tattoos from her wrist all the way up as far as her arm was bare was another good look.

I'm betting 2 for a dollar was both the price of corn and the price of handies out behind the dumpster after her shift ended.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I had exactly the same thought when I saw that.

(I didn't remember him looking like Manson, though.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted