1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good golf instructional books

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Looking to improve my game this year - any books or DVDs I should look at? The Pelz short game books seem a little too complex for me right now. Looking for something a little less advanced, but that'll get me up to speed.

I'm the kind of guy who wants to understand they "why" of the mechanics as much as the "how."

2. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Ben Hogan's "Five Lessons; The modern fundamentals of golf" is a very good start.

And get a lesson, maybe a group lesson with a buddy or two, before you develop unbreakable bad habits. It's actually worth the $$$

Edit: For schpelin

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Can't beat that one. Period. Best one I've read.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hogan's book is solid.

Find a pro who will challenge and listen to you. Always makes me wonder why everyone pays these huge amounts for clubs but never take a lesson.

One year my 5 iron went from 170 to 150. Pro found the problem in the first 15 mins., went from a soft grip to the dreaded "death grip."

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Haven't seen it in book form, but the DVD is invaluable.

[​IMG]

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Bob Mann's Automatic Golf was good for my game.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Go take a lesson. It is well worth the time and money.

If people actually improved from reading instructional books and magazines, there wouldn't be a need for Golf Digest or Golf Magazine.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto on lessons. Get a package deal of three or five that you can spread out over the summer. There's big motivation in improving and showing your teacher. It's not as much fun going at it alone.

9. Key

Key Well-Known Member

It may not exactly be a "how-to" instructional book, but I always enjoy reading Harvey Penick's Little Red Book.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Amen.
    You see these "more money with brains" golfers on the course and they don't have a friggin' clue.

First lesson for duffers: leave your driver at home.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and I guarantee to save you 3 strokes a round by just following the golden rule, "pitch out [of the woods/rough]".

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

After you've read Hogan's book, most other golf instruction books and magazine articles start to seem gimmicky. Read Hogan, read it again, then take lessons and spend lots of quality time on the range.

Draft saved Draft deleted