1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good God almighty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norman Stansfield, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

There are a lot of ways to leave this world.

This could be the worst of all.

Man killed in wood chipper accident

A 30-year-old man was killed this afternoon when he was sucked into a wood chipper while trying to shake loose a piece of wood that had jammed it.

The man owned a tree service company working in the 8900 block of 26th Ave. in Pleasant Prairie, according to a Pleasant Prairie Police Department press release.

The man was using his foot to clear debris that had jammed the wood chipper around 5:20 p.m. when his foot became entangled in the machine, witnesses told police.

His coworkers tried to rescue him from the intake, but he was pulled into and through the wood chipper, according to the release.

The incident remains under investigation by Pleasant Prairie detectives, the Kenosha County Medical Examiner's office and officials from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Police withheld the man's name while they attempted to notify his family.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Jack Splat

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If they ever do another Faces of Death, I hope something like this would be in there.

Wow.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

[​IMG]

When reached by telephone, this pair replied, "No comment."

5. pallister

pallister Guest

In a similar vein, whenever I go down to the pressroom, I always wonder what it would be like to get sucked into the giant press.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Is there really any need for an investigation?

Cause of death: Stupidity.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Police withheld the man's name so they could notify his family before people across the nation started mocking the man, by name, for his sheer stupidity.

8. lono

lono Active Member

And if you've ever worked news side, you know stupidity is the No. 1 cause of death worldwide.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

He's definitely in the running for the Darwin Award.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Not anymore. [/ducking]

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Obviously his name .... was....

Chip

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Quick story: When I was first working as a journalist, fresh out of college, it was as a police reporter. Got a call one day, and had to write a story, about a situation where a man was attempting to pull his mailbox out of the ground with his pick up truck. The mail box attatched to a metal post, which was burried deep in his front yard. He attatched a chain to the post, got in his truck, and tried to yank it out of the ground like they do with stumps in so many Ford and Chevy commercials.

He stepped on the gas, mail box post got yanked out of the ground, his truck went lurching forward must faster than he was expecting, and he crashed into the side part of his garage (which was made of brick), breaking his neck and killing him instantly.

I wonder if he, or the wife maybe, was just tired walking down the driveway every day to get the mail.

But yes, the woodchipper seems like a much worse way to go

Draft saved Draft deleted