1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Girls Go to Heaven, Bad Girls Go Everywhere--RIP Helen Gurley Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Aug 13, 2012.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Died today at 90. Doubt she affected a lot of the folks here, but had a huge impact on young professional women who wanted to be single AND get laid, at a time when no one admitted such things.

Awesome lady.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I woke up from a nap to see an RIP to her posted on my friend's wall. It made me sad.

I don't know that she affected me directly, but I admired her nonetheless.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

An era passes. No idiots we, me and my college chums would read the Cosmo articles about where to find single men, then go there.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Heaven wanted the definitive 15 ways to please a man in bed.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

RIP. I was on a plane with her about 10 years ago. She looked skeletal, but she was very well-dressed.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I met her a few times. She always freaked me out. Skeletal looking is generous.

RIP anyhow, I guess.

One of those who is a good story for those in their 40s still trying to figure stuff out. She landed Cosmo at around 40, turned it around and essentially made the rest of her life from there.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Anyone read last week's New York Times Magazine feature on Cosmo's ridiculous international growth in recent years?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/magazine/how-cosmo-conquered-the-world.html?pagewanted=all

I liked it a lot. Good timing, too. It had a section on Helen Gurley Brown and her continued relevance.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A real generational divide in reaction to her death.

A handful of reasonably hip and intelligent 25-to-35 women in our office had no idea who she was.

Me: "She made it much more interesting to stand in line at the grocery."

Draft saved Draft deleted