1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good gawd, it's frickin' hot!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Jul 17, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Most of the midwest - from South Dakota to Texas and southeastern Wyoming to northwestern Louisiana - is baking right now. It passed 100 degrees in my city at noon. It was over 100 most of last week and will be again until a front passes through late this week to chill us out to 95 degrees.

What do you do to combat this? We have our thermostat at 80 with the ceiling fans going, but our electrical bill still went over $100 last month for the first time since we bought our house. It'll be near $130 I bet next month.

We go out for ice cream every now and then. I do what lawn chores I can before 11 a.m. Even getting the mail is a hassle (God bless our mail people!) because it's so frickin' hot.

And the kids want to go outside after lunch! The thought of that makes me sweat.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If my electrical bill went over $100 a month for the first time, I would fall on my knees in gratitude.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here in Texas I drink ice-cold beer day and night. It seems to work.
    Seriously, though, just stay inside as much as possible and try to dress with as little on as possible* at home.

* - Within reason.

4. It's not exactly Siberia in the NE today, either.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yes, it's certainly sweaty balls weather. As Angola! said, the onliest way to combat this heat is plenty of beer at all times. It's a tough thing.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Here in Vermont/New Hampshire it's 100 plus.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

The whole damn country is baking. I sometimes work from home, but lately I've been heading to the office to work in the A/C. Better than having to cool my apartment when it's 100 outside.

The other night, as I went home about midnight, it was still 82, according to the local bank's time-temperature display.

I'm drinking tons of water and trying to run before 9 a.m.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is all a Democratic conspiracy to make folks believe global warming is real and get AlGore elected in 2008 -- or sooner.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Nearly every state will see 90 degrees today

Thermostat set on 80 degrees? good god, do you like living in an igloo?

It's 97 and humid here and my thermostat is set on 71 and it's nice and cool with the ceiling fan going to circulate the air.

I've even been in Texas in summer and never had the thermostat set on 80.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

97 here, with low humidity thankfully...

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

103 here, with no humidity at all.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

This just in fron the National Weather Service:

IT IS THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER! IT GETS FUCKING HOT IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER!

End of (not) news flash.

97 here, humidity 45%...

Draft saved Draft deleted