1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good for you Mississippi State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

With regard to "how far things have come" in the U.S.:

Last night's NBA game showed 3 black refs huddled around the courtside monitor, to get a call right late in the game. That's the whole crew that reffed last nite's game.

Today, as ESPN was touting what was coming up, they cut to a camera of the guys in the control room who were getting Today's Top 10 together ... three black guys.

Those sorts of seemingly small advances are mainstream common nowadays.
    Along with a healthy dose of hiring diversity, the jobs are done by those who do them best.

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I was prayyyyying. POS school that does little to anything for the SEC except collect a check most years.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Come down to Starkville and watch your own POS school get its ass hammered this fall, clown.

4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

If it helps get rid of Dooley, then so be it.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Unfortunately, there are many blacks who haven't "moved on up" in Mississippi. Education and salary levels are still a problem in many areas. But again, Mississippi has made strides. It's a good state with plenty of good people. It's sad and difficult to talk about The Magnolia State without thinking about its ugly past.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Also, not too long ago it was pretty unusual -- and in some states illegal -- for blacks and whites to marry. Now I know easily a dozen mixed-race couples through work and my kids' activities. It's no big thing at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted