1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good for you Mississippi State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jun 13, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Somewhere in heaven Babe McCarthy is smiling. And Ross Barnett remains in hell.

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/msu/2012/06/13/msu-loyola-working-on-contract-to-commemorate-1963-game/

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Two things:

1. I hope Loyola doesn't beat them too badly.

2. Which Loyola? I know they are referring to Loyola of Chicago but I'm sure a lot of people don't know that.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

With that subject title I was expecting them to have joined the Big 12.

4. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Loyola of Chicago, still the only team from the state of Illinois to win the NCAA men's basketball title.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

For a Bulldog audience, I think they know which school it is. But yes, should be included.

And what made Michigan State think they should be in this spotlight? You wouldn't commemorate Texas Western with a Maryland-UK matchup at Cole Field House.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The video "One Night in March" was put together in 2002 and chronicles this unique part of MSU and southern collegiate sports history.

State got a commit from a 4-star, Tebow-like QB the other day but this news is even more meaningful.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Looking back on this, it's amazing how much society's attitudes towards race have changed in my lifetime.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Blitz just cracked Mercury Morris' cat in the head with an empty champagne bottle.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed. Guerrilla warfare was taking place in the not-so-distant past.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

People who were born after 1960 have no idea of how much guts it took for Mississippi State to play that game. They literally had sneak out of the state in the dead of night to avoid the state authorities.

As a Mississippian, I wish I could say that's a proud moment, but the fact that they had to sneak out at all speaks shameful volumes about how bad things were in this state at that time.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Things still have a ways to go in some parts of the Magnolia State but Mississippi is trying.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Neutral-court games have some RPI value. That's why Memphis and LSU played in Tupelo a couple of years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted