1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Good enough to work for The Plain Dealer" MAKES The Plain Dealer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 6, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

From columnist Tom Feran's 6/23 article about Drew Carey:

http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/living/1151051722314270.xml?lxfer&coll=2

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the link. I would have missed it. I'm usually not good enough to read the Plain Dealer.

3. Varla

Varla Member

Is this like life imitating art or something ???

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We all know Carey will be passed over for a minority candidate... ;D

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Ace is really Drew Carey.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

At the risk of being a nerd...

Who originated the phrase "Good enough to work at the Plain Dealer"? I thought it was someone here, but if it slipped into that paper, it must be a bit more high profile. Was it Krystal Grow who said it?

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Mizzou, that is one macbre animation you have in your sig.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Tyler, it was some guy at a suburban Cleveland paper who claimed he was passed over only because he was white, and he sued the paper. Someone can link to the story that was posted on here a couple years ago. Very interesting case.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Maybe "Good enough to work for the Plain Dealer" or some variation could be worked into sports sections like the equally odd line that makes the editorial pages, "the unseen occult hand." Or something close to that.

Only sportswriters, or SportsJournalists.com posters circa early 21st century, would get it. The ultimate inside joke. Maybe in a couple, three decades when only two papers are still in existence, Cleveland will be looked upon as some magical place, the only paper that was viewed as the equal of the Times-Post-Today of the east and the Times-Chronicle of the west. And those columnists, the holographic representation of Whitlock will work the line in. And everyone will laugh.
    No paper, of course, serves flyover country, not after the great quake of '09 that destroyed the midwest and turned the heartland into a lake.

10. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Agreed ... I like most of Mizzou's posts but I have to skip past them now. :-\

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Speaking of macbre. Well done.

Draft saved Draft deleted