1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

good days at the santa barbara news-press

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by funky_mountain, Jul 6, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Then there's a major chasm here. With no exception, I know no one in any newsroom who would dare take a stand on an issue unless it affected them, and even then they exercised discretion.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Different experiences, I guess....I've certainly f-bombed a boss under the heat of deadline, but that's a little different, I guess, than yelling "fuck you" to the actiing publisher.

But the SB scene has been recounted by several observers, the editor was apparently highly respected. I certainly believe it happened that way.

3. annoyed

annoyed Member

I'm not doubting that and without siding with DP, I'd have to say the SB must have been a great place to work before this fiasco. At MOST papers everyone would have looked the other way when the F-bombs started flying. That or had some hallucinogenic version of the event.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Without siding with annoyed, I'd have to say that's much what I thought.

It's easy for people to say, "Yeah, I did that" after the fact.

The only reason there's any doubt in my mind is so many people ended up quitting.

5. bp6316

bp6316 Member

I will point out here that California Newspaper Publisher's Association awards were announced yesterday and Santa Barbara took first or second place in seven categories for the 25k-75k range. This is a pretty competitive category and that's a pretty good showing for 2005. So yes, it's a good paper.

1st in Editorial Pages

2nd in Lifestyle Coverage

2nd in Investigative or Enterprise Reporting

2nd in Environmental Reporting

1st in Front Page

2nd in Page Layout & Design

2nd in General Excellence

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Aww, isn't that cute, all the smug smirking Mr. Publishers get together to give one of their own a nice gentle pat on the ass. ::) ::)

That'll show those uppity journos!! What the hell do they know!! How dare they speak up against Ms. Publisher, who just wants to run her bidness the way she sees fit?? :D :D

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Laurels for a staff which no longer exists as such. Won't happen again.

8. Apex

Apex Member

Draft saved Draft deleted