1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good college-town columnists?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Looking for an assortment of guys to bookmark and, perhaps, learn a thing or two from, who opine primarily about college sports. (To clarify, not college newspaper students. Pros. Jim Carty types).

Suggestions?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Re: Good college columnists?

They're all homers. You gotta find the funny college columnists that actually make a point with humor.

Like that guy that wrote that article for the Umass paper- I think it is commonly referred to as "the article" now.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If you're talking people at college papers, there was one guy I really liked who worked for The Chronicle (the Duke student paper) when I went to The Big University With The Famous J-School. Kid's name was Victor Zhao. He wrote a column centered on my school's team when it beat Duke. I used it in my bi-weekly niche publication because we'd signed up with U-Wire at my behest.

It pissed off The Big Student Daily when I ran it. I was pleased.

4. Re: Good college columnists?

Good College Columnist why that sounds like ME!

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Dude, you want to transfer to DePaul but you don't know how to spell it. I think that puts you out of the running here.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm guessing (praying?) that Mr. Jennings is seeking professional journalists who primarily write about college beats.

7. Yes.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

He doesn't write a ton of columns, by virtue of doubling as sports editor, but Joe Walljasper at the Columbia (Mo.) Daily Tribune uncorks a gem from time to time.

9. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Member

Matt James at the Fresno Bee. He writes a lot of columns not about Fresno State too, but he's fit nicely into the tradition that paper has had of excellent columnists.

10. Frylock

Frylock Member

I just started writing a weekly column last August, so I've been reading other columnists quite a bit.
    In my area, there are two excellent ones. John Canzano at the Oregonian (who doesn't really fit this thread) and George Schroeder at the Eugene Register-Guard.
    Schroeder was hired about a year ago from the Oklahoman and has done a lot of good stuff focusing on University of Oregon.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

Carty's a good option. Pat Forde is, too. And Wetzel. But most of the columnists that I'm thinking of (like Canzano, Plaschke, etc.) don't really fit that mold.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Michael Rosenberg covers all sorts of stuff but he is pretty humorous. I enjoy reading his articles. Foxsports.com and Detroit Free Press are two sites where you can find his stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted