1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Cast, Bad Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Aug 26, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Holy crap is this a bad movie! See this with your girlfriend and you'll never have to see another chickflick again. A total cliche-fest. You know everything that is going to happen, scene by scene, in the first 10 minutes of this stiff. Characters you loathe from the moment you see them, behaving stupidly, I can only figure Streep and Redgrave signed on for the chance to get their kids some work. You don't normally see movies of this type trashed, but check out Rotten Tomatoes for a sample.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Godfather III didn't suck. It was a decent movie. (In fact, it was nominated for Best Picture, and you could argue should have won -- 'Dances With Wolves'?? ). It just wasn't as monumentally brilliant as its two predecessors.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

You're right, it was a fairly good movie, but if any other movie was to win Best Picture that year-1990 (besides of course the winner Dances With Wolves), I would argue that it would had to have been Goodfellas.

4. Glad to see people recognize this. Godfather III is often panned like it was some sort of worthless piece of junk when in fact it was a pretty damn good movie. No, it wasn't up to the level of the first two, but to do that it would have had to have been one of the top three movies ever.

Also, I co-sign on the negative takes on The Royal Tenenbaums. Just awful and painfully unfunny.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Royal Tenenbaums played out like a joke I didn't get. Quirky for the sake of being quirky.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

another crapfest, indeed.

7. I liked the first half of The Royal Tenenbaums. The second half was so dark it made me feel awful for laughing at the first half.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil featured a horrible miscast of John Cusack, who I usually like. On paper, it looked pretty good with he and Kevin Spacey in the main roles. Then again, the movie didn't do the book justice, so maybe I'm biased.

8. Frylock

Frylock Member

It hasn't come out yet, but Shoot Em Up looks like a candidate
    Love the cast, though

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

A lot of Tarantino here. How about "From Dusk till Dawn." Keitel, Clooney, Tarantino, Hayek, Williamson, Kelly Preston, Cheech, Juliette Lewis.

10. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Two from the same director "Girl, Interrupted" and "Cop Land" -- both directed by James Mangold. They weren't out and out shitfests, but they were both real disappointing. "Walk the Line" was O.K., so maybe he won't f-up "3:10 to Yuma"

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Watched a movie this weekend which featured Donald Sutherland and Sissy Spacek in the leads - An American Haunting. I thought, great cast, can't be bad.

I was wrong.

12. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Totally agree on Nothing But Trouble and The Avengers remake. Both God-awful.

And along with Tarantino, here's a name that belongs in this fray: Shyamalan.

The Village had Joaquin Phoenix, Sigourney Weaver and William Hurt, as well as Adrien Brody, who's annoying but has acting ability. And it sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted