1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Cast, Bad Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I nominate "Evening".

Tons of talented women in the cast: Meryl Streep, Toni Collette, Glenn Close, Vanessa Redgrave, Clare Danes. Yet it was one of the worst movies I've seen in a while. A movie in search of a plot.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I liked Tenenbaums a lot, and Jackie Brown, while not as interesting as tarantino's other work, was pretty good.

Departed didn't suck. The point I made was that you have all those names, and I'm not sure how much having all those names actually added to the movie itself. In a way, it may have detracted . . not as bad as Saving Private Ryan's casting decisions that killed the film and make the viewer say "Look! There's Pig Vomit from Howard Stern's Movie! And Sam Malone!!" but maybe unnecessary. Kind of funny that Scorsese got best director for a character-driven film, when every actor he had has been excellent in movies not directed by him. But I digress.

3. Baloo

Baloo Member

Did anybody else see "the Avengers?" Sean Connery, Ralph Fiennes, Uma Thurman (Ok, not a great actress, but decent) and a plot that's mostly incomprehensible and utterly stupid.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nothing But Trouble...

Chevy Chase, Ackroyd, Demi, Candy and a lot of crap. Oh, and a young Tupac. Thank you IMDB.

and a 3.5 on IMDB out of 10... Batman and Robin

Clooney, Arnold, Uma, Alicia, Elle, Vivica and O'Donnell

5. Baloo

Baloo Member

Oh, and then there's "Force 10 from Navarone" -- Robert Shaw, a v. young Harrison Ford, Edward Fox and still a bad movie.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Terrible movie.

Batman and Robin, anyone?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Both were brilliant... Out of Sight is Clooney's best film by far. It was so good that it actually made me (incorrectly) think that J-Lo could act...

Jackie Brown is outstanding even if Tarantino took way too much creative license with the book...

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

They should call this the Irwin Allen Memorial Thread:

--Towering Inferno.
    --The Swarm.
    --Earthquake.
    --The Poseiden Adventure.

The Mount Rushmore of movies with solid actors in service of cheesy non-goodness. The Airport sequels come close, but they're mostly B-listers.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I'm stunned at the love for Jackie Brown and Out of Sight from everyone. Both were utterly disappointing movies (not because of the books - I haven't read either). I don't know if I expected too much, or what, but neither one did anything for me.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm a huge Elmore Leonard fan and I'm used to his great books turning into mediocre movies... I think those two might be the best adaptations... Get Shorty was also good... Be Cool was a great book and a really bad movie...

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Maybe I would just hate Elmore Leonard's novels, too. I've never read one, but I hated Get Shorty as well. Never saw Be Cool because I figured it would suck harder than its predecessor.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good call on Nothing But Trouble. Unwatchably awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted