1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good bye to The Minimalist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 26, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One of the best cooking columns anywhere is over. Apparently Bittman has given up the Mimimalist to join the Opinion section of the Times where he'll write about food

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/dining/26mini.html

In part, what I see as the continuing attack on good, sound eating and traditional farming in the United States is a political issue. I’ll be writing regularly about this in the opinion pages of The Times, and in a blog that begins next week. That’s one place to look for me from now on. The other is in The Times Magazine, where I’ll be writing a recipe column most Sundays beginning in March.

Part of my reasoning in going to the opinion section is to advocate, essentially, for eaters’ rights. But the response of good cooks, and those of us who write about cooking, must be to continue to look for ways to bring real food to all of our tables.

Which, in a way, is pretty funny, because it’s where The Minimalist began.

Here's 20 of his most watched videos.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/01/26/dining/20110126-bittman.html?ref=dining

He's the direct antithesis of a food snob. He cooks in a kitchen the size of a closet on an old electric stove.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whew! I first read the thread title as The Mentalist

3. Bittman is great. I have two of his recipe books. Most comprehensive cookbooks I've ever seen.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

If you have an IPhone, ITouch or iPad, get his "How to Cook Everything (on the go)" app. Awesome!

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have his How To Cook Everything in the kitchen... the Asparagus Parmesan is a must -- simple and tasty...

Draft saved Draft deleted