1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good-bye to an old friend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Jan 16, 2007.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

sorry dude

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The poem's name is Rainbow Bridge, in case anybody wants to send it to a friend.

And it still makes me tear up whenever I read it.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm going to send it to my first ex-wife. She recently lost CJ2 (we lost CJ1 in 1995) and is about to get CJ3 in her house. So I know it will make her smile and cry.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

First off very sorry to hear the news. Secondly great poem SC. I read that when my St. Bernard died three years ago. And to you Unibomber you are a terrible human being. May your seat in hell be reserved!

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Never had a cat, but our family inherited two German shepards in their golden years, at different times, from different sides of the family who were forced to give the dogs to us because they couldn't survive another cross country move via the military.

Both were fantastic dogs. And I was unlucky enough to have to ride along to the vet both times when they had to be put down. That feeling sucks. My condolences.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My dog suffered badly the night before we put her down a few years ago. My wife didn't want to go to the vet, so I did.

Just putting her to sleep was difficult, most of her veins had collapsed. To put her down, they had to go all Pulp Fiction and inject the lethal dose straight into her heart.

It was harrowing, but in one specific way, I was glad I was there. She briefly gained lucidity and gave me a lick on the cheek. I held her paw and she passed away.

I would never want to repeat that, nor did I get and peace/closure when she died (some people tell me it gives them peace to watch their loved ones go, not me), but I am glad I was there for her and she didn't die alone.

It's a tough day when you put down a pet. Hope all goes well Shottie.

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

what a sad thread. condolences.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm glad that I sort of braced for the worst and gave him a lot of kitty belly rubbin' yesterday afternoon, because I thought that might be the last time I saw him. Wife took him to the vet last night to get ready for the surgery.

On a lighter note ... I'm thinking he might just be pinin' for the fjords.

[​IMG]

9. Add my condolences, Shotty. My cat's companionship helped me get through a convalescence when I was laid up at home and family members were all off at work.

10. KP

KP Active Member

Losing companions that are never unhappy with you (even if they do hiss or take a swipe at you now and then) always sucks.

11. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

deepest condolences. I write a weekly "slice of life" type column in addition to sports duties. Two years ago, after I lost my dog of 18 years, I wrote about him. Usually, if I get two or three responses to a particular slice of life column, it's a lot. That week, I got 45 -- including some of the most touching stories you can imagine of people and their pets. Among them was The Rainbow Bridge.

I read them and kept them all and my son caught me at the computer that day, the tears rolling down my cheeks. I couldn't stop. I missed him for a long time. I miss him still. And I swore I would never get another dog because it hurt too much to lose him.
    But a year ago in October, we went to the same pound where we had found him, and discovered a perfect dog and I discovered I really missed having a dog around.
    I'm sure the same will happen for you. Hug the others.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Sorry, shot. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted