1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good-bye to an old friend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Jan 16, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I felt the need to drop a message to all of you who expressed best wishes for our cat.

Smokey had surgery this morning, and they found a malignancy that had spread to his liver. They put him down right there.

I'm not going to get real maudlin, outside of saying that few animals expressed love for its owners more than Smokey. He'll be missed. In the meantime, we've got the other two to take care of and cuddle. Which I'm going to do right now.

Thanks for all the help you've provided.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm so sorry, Shottie.

When my old kitty died this spring, somebody sent me this poem:

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Best regards, Shot. Losing a pet can be very, very difficult.

SC, thanks for that post, even though it made me miss my dog. :'(

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

shot, I've had two cats in my life.

The first one lasted 22 years, and my heart broke a little when she died.

No need to get real maudlin, but don't feel silly for grieving, either. Pets become part of the family.

My condolences.

5. I'm very sorry for your loss, shotty. And thanks, sc, for that poem. Like writing irish, it made me think of my dog, who was put down almost ... jesus ... three years ago. :(

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sorry, Shotty. That sucks. Thing is -- and you know this, right? -- Smokey had a great life in your home because of you. And because of you, Smoke went out without pain. Best gift you could have ever given. Hug the kittens.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I had a cat that died at 19 years and another one that died at 18 months. Both sucked (the deaths, not the cats themselves). People who don't own cats or animals in general don't get that you can be legitimately sad for the passing of an animal, as though things that die should either be mourned (human) or eaten (animals), with no middle ground. Of course that's not true. I don't look forward to the day when one of my mom's cats goes, because that one really likes me.

Meanwhile, in honor of Shottie's cat, I propose we have a 24-hour mortatorium on killing kittens as a metaphor for jacking off. It's the least we can do.

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Having to put down our dog -- my wife had owned her for 15 years -- a couple years ago . . . I don't know if I ever want to do that again.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Sorry, shottie. Cats don't suck nearly as much as most people.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Shottie....Sorry to hear about it. Our cats (both 19 and from the same litter) died within a month of each other two years ago. Sounds like you were a great owner and that Smokey had a good life.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Sorry, shottie. But you said it...there are two more there for your love, and you can still love Smokey even now that he's gone.

My visits to my mom's house aren't the same now that the cats are different than the ones I grew up with.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

My sympathies Shottie. The day I came home and found our beloved Skooter was dead was a very sad day in my adult life. Give that extra love to the others and talk to them about Smokey.

And SC...that story was beautiful.

Draft saved Draft deleted