1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good-bye, Ken Macha

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

All this organization does is lose players, then rebuilds, and they fire the manager in this case?

The Bay Area is definitely the land of fruits and nuts.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Reading the SF columnists, the move was pretty well endorsed. Apparently Macha had alienated a lot of the players.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I don't understand how the team could fire him, then bring him back, and that anyone would think it would last.

4. Smasher_Sloan

I didn't think they fired him. I thought he got in a snit, said "I'm leaving," and they said OK. He went out, found nothing, and came back and asked for his job back.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Then they never should have hired him back in the first place. That gives the organization a big black eye, firing a manager like that just after taking the team to the ALCS for the first time in nearly 15 damn years.

Then again, Steinbrenner got away with this crap on a yearly basis in the 1970s and into the 1980s, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

When's the new ballpark going to be ready?

7. cortez

cortez Member

Maybe they should hire Rob Neyer

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Then acquire Mark McGwire

9. Smasher_Sloan

You're no liar if it's on the wire.

Draft saved Draft deleted