1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good-bye, Ken Macha

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

He would if he didn't have to wear the uniform. This firing has him starting to look like Al Davis ... from mad genius to just mad. As for Joe Girardi to the A's, that would be a lot of fun to watch, much like Martin-Steinbrenner.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

They were talking on Cold Pizza this morning (hey, I was home sick and it beats The View) that Macha did not get along with either his players or his fellow coaches.

He apparently was told last year to do a better job in that effort, and he didn't. Regardless of the first-round success, he was certainly outmanaged by Leyland in the ALCS.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That's interesting to hear that about Macha. He does look like a straight arrow in contrast to the loosey-goosey locker room and a ticking time-bomb that is Milton Bradley.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Time for the redux of the coaches' college?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

College of Coaches.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'll come up with the material... you can copy edit.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's what I do for a living.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Washington is a good choice. It'd be nice to see a new person hired instead of the tired retread situation in MLB.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If the Yankees get ripped for thinking about firing Torre, Billy Beane ought to get his ass whipped for this.

As for his getting outmanaged in the ALCS, anyone check out the BigHurt's BA for that series? VeryARODesq

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the macha stories were bizarre. the backup catcher ripped him for not saying hello. someone criticized him for saying about ellis being hurt for the ALCS 'that's baseball. people get hurt.' there must be more to this story.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What a bunch of shit this is. But it ain't the first time a successful Oakland manager has done something stupid (helloooooo, Alvin Dark!!)

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

My guess is Macha wanted out and made it pretty clear from how he handled the team the past few months. He never got over the bizarre circumstances of his firing/rehiring last winter. It figures to be a cheap hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted