1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good business or bad business?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedCanuck, Feb 25, 2011.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I'm having a little argument with my family here and I thought I'd turn to others for opinion.

Last fall, I bought a new Chevy Cobalt after leasing three other Chevy products (don't get me started on the GMAC lease return). I shopped at three different dealers within 20 minutes of me and picked one that had good hours, etc. Anyway, I had a great experience. I was pleased with the salespeople - they were polite, everything was as they said it was, etc. The dealership got a great review on their surveys.

Yesterday, I got a call on my answering machine from them stating it's probably almost time for my first service and they've tentatively booked me in for an appointment on Monday at 10 a.m. If that's inconvenient, call them, they say.

Is that considerate or presumptuous of them?

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Assuming that the servicing is free (I don't lease) I think it's good customer service.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

From what I understand (and it's not a lease either, it's a purchase), it is not free.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Then it's a marketing ploy. I think it's good to remind people of things like this, like my dentist reminding me of an upcoming check up, etc. but scheduling it is a bit much.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Does seem a little aggressive to actually set up an appointment. I have Onstar on my truck and get a monthly E-mail highlighting various things that might require attention such as tire pressure, Oil usage, ect. Also alerted to when it is time for Oil change.

I find it helpful because its passive. I would not want a call alerting me to appointment.

I'm sure it's something you can have them stop.

One other thought - perhaps first service is a free follow up. Maybe you should just play dumb when the bill arrives and tell them you thought is was free.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it's bad business.

It would be one thing if they called to remind you of service and said they will hold a spot for your if you can bring the car in Monday morning.

But to schedule a 10 a.m. (?) appointment and act like you have to call to cancel would annoy me.

Of course, I would not call them to cancel.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily think it's good customer service. Like with 99% of auto dealers, your money - and not your satisfaction - is their primary concern.

As has been said, as long as you're not on the hook for a missed appointment, I think it might be a tad aggressive, but not offensive. I guess you could say it's good business, as my guess is the number of people who go along with this would outweigh the number of people who would get bent out of shape.

8. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I thought it was too aggressive and my parents thought it was courteous, so I almost wonder if it was a generational thing. I e-mailed the dealer himself and told him I would not be there Monday (it didn't fit into my schedule anyway), and asked him to consider changing the practice. Told him I was more than happy with his sales people and that perhaps their service could learn from them. And yes, I think the reminder call would have been fine.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm probably older than your parents and I agree with you. :)

If this is a oil change thing, I thought as long as you had it done and kept receipts, etc, it didn't invalidate your warranty.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i don't see the problem. it's not like they're going to charge you if you don't show up or call back. it's simply a marketing tool that i think you're reading too much into.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd burn that place down.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Bad business. Very presumptuous. Nothing wrong with a call letting you know it's time for service and saying when they have availability, but scheduling you? Wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted