1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good, affordable clothing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Sep 13, 2007.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'd thoroughly recommend H&M for really nice and reasonably priced clothing except that the clothes there fit certain body types. Their shirts fit me great but the jeans are all too short for me. If they had more Zara's over in the US I would also recommend that for dressier clothes.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm a freakshow physically, so my options are limited (even if I was a human being weight-wise, I'd still be like 6-5). The Big and Fat stores tend to be pricy.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I've been a big fan of Banana Republic and Express for a while now. Really good selections of shirts, and some solid suits.

I like the Gap as well, got a shirt and jacket there last year for $22 combined. They have some amazing deals at sales time.

We also have an outlet near here that I'm going to be hitting soon to do some christmas shopping. I think they have a Brooks Brothers there.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I agree about Express but Banana Republic is really pricey.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Not during sales time. They usually mark down heavily. I've gotten great deals on jackets, jeans, sweatervests, everything in there.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sweatervests with wings is a good look for you.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Still have a polo that I bought there seven or eight years ago, and it looks just fine, too.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

What he said. I've never bought there unless it's heavily marked down. Most recently bought two pair of khakis and a a pair of jeans. Walked out for $70 and they're all the best fitting pants I own.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I usually avoid it, but now I'm kicking myself for not going in when they had a big sale earlier this summer. I didn't have time but I wish I had made time to get in there because they do have really nice stuff.

10. joe

joe Active Member

If you know your exact size, eBay has good deals on new clothes. That's what my sister did when her younguns were growing like weeds.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It is, especially since my wings are such a great shade of blue. You can do a lot with it.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Depends what you like. If you like trendy, I wouldn't know. If you like classic, some suggestions:

1.) Land's End overstocks. Great deals on there -- if you don't want to spend time hunting, this is the best go-to place for basics. Even at full price, I'd recommend the oxford shirts -- $20.

2.) Orvis online tent sale. Kind of cool if you like to gamble that the item will still be there by the time the price goes down:

3.) L.L. Bean sale center.

4. Brooks Brothers online clearance.

5. Joseph A. Bank online clearance center: Average quality, but good deals can be had.

6. Thrift stores -- good especially for ties. You can also find good suits, but sniff carefully before you buy and take straight to the dry cleaner -- you don't want to bring any moth larvae home with you. Look for stores in or near wealthy towns/neighborhoods, Junior League or something associated with a hospice. A lot of the stuff at Salvation Army and the like is going to smell.

7. I agree with the sierratradingpost and the jcrew sale section. I've bought from Eddie Bauer. but it's pretty average stuff, needs to be a very good deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted