1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good, affordable clothing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Sep 13, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Paging Frank Ridgeway.......

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The wholesale clubs (Costco, Sams, BJ's) are all solid. I'm a big van of Kohls, and I've found deals at TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Ross. Izod polo shirts (not the lacoste, but still) are between $10 and $15 at all of the above, and I've found shorts in the $10 range at all of them, too. Not sure about dressier clothes, because, well, I don't wear them. Kohls' clearance racks are awesome, btw.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Do you guys have "Winners" down there?

Can pick up some good brand name stuff (Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, etc) at a fraction of the price.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

TJ Maxx had issues a year or two ago with credit/debit card info being stolen. Marshall's is owned by the same company.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

You can never seem to go wrong with Old Navy, and Gap outlets never hurt, either. Heck, few outlets ever hurt. I've found that Marshall's is always hit-and-miss - some days I'll go in and not have enough money to spend on everything I like. If you live near a big city there are usually designer discount stores like Filene's Basement, Daffy's or Century 21.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Like Inky said, the key is to shop a season behind and hit some sales. I've gotten $60 polo shirts for less than $20 by shopping in January.

As for places to find clothes, I love me some J.C. Penney. Not a big fan of their pants selection, but they always seem to have clearance racks of nice button-down or polo shirts for under $20 -- and, often, less than $10. Some of the shirts in my closet have been in the rotation for six or seven years.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Outlet malls can be good.

eBay can be AMAZING. If you have the time and inclination, drag up the brands you like, and poke around. Doubt you'll be sorry.

8. T&C

T&C Member

TJ Maxx if you want to look good, but don't want to look like everyone else. But you have to check frequently because stock changes daily. During a spring training trip to Florida found some nice stuff at the Beall's Outlets including top quality cords and dress jeans marked down to ten bucks.

9. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I just got two nice suits at Men's Wearhouse for $370. They would have been less if I were just a smidge smaller. Marshall's, if you can stand to walk in there, usually has some good deals too.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Old Navy can be hit and miss -- some of their stuff isn't bad, some of it is total crap. That's one store where I never shop online because I want to actually see the stuff in person before buying.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Just bought two polos (admittedly off the bargain rack) from there, and they're falling apart.

Same happens with stuff from Old Navy. Stuff fades wicked easily.

Kohl's/Old Navy should be OK for things such as khakis. Kohl's Sierra brand of khakis/slacks are pretty good.

Also, Kohl's usually sells Champs brand shirts (seem to be decent quality) for cheap. Another option for ya.

Draft saved Draft deleted