1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good, affordable clothing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Sep 13, 2007.

1. I seem to struggle to find inexpensive clothes that fit well, look right and last.

Our salaries, of course, don't help in this department.

But wondering if you guys know of some trustworthy Web sites, big box stores, etc., for decent men's clothes that won't make you look like a pud next to the well-put together TV people.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Costco

Great work clothes.

Right now I am wearing a Calvin Klein dress shirt ($19) and Perry Ellis slacks ($22).

3. Mira

Mira Member

Old Navy. I buy my husband a bunch of stuff there, particularly dress shirts and polos and bermuda shorts. And guys from work (in our sports dept.) get apparel there, too. The clearance racks are heaven if you catch them early.

The Gap can also have some sweet sales. I saw some clearance long-sleeve men's shirts the other day for $6.99.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Second on Old Navy ... what about this H&M place or whatever? We just got two of them here.

5. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/
    I, along with the rest of my family, have shoes from this place. Good prices. You might also check and see if there are any outlet stores nearby, too.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Hit up some outlet malls in your area.

You can pick up great stuff at places like Tommy Hilfiger, Polo and Timberland for less than half what you'd usually spend in a department store, and still hold your own with the TV foofs (although I'm not sure that's a goal you should be shooting for).

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Outlet malls and Internet sales are your friends.

If you need a suit, J. Press just had a suit sale with $550 suits going for $180. Brooks Brothers has clearance suits for $200.

The key is to shop a season behind. Buy your summer stuff now for next summer. Buy your fall/winter stuff in the late spring.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Kohl's also has good clothing at reasonable prices, and things seem to always be on sale.

9. See, I'm trying to get away from Kohl's actually. I just haven't been happy with how some of their stuff has held up and fit, particularly shirts.

I was casually aware of Old Navy, but a visit to their Web site reveals that they do have some nice-looking stuff at good prices. Might make a trip there today.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Kohl's and sale are synonyms.

TJ Maxx and Marshalls have worked OK for me, but don't use your debit or credit card. I'm also a fan of the sale rack at Gap and Banana Republic.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'll second Costco, TJ Maxx and others.

I also find nice stuff on the clearance racks at Eddie Bower or J Crew.

I've gotten away from Old Navy because I've had some clothes fall apart at the seems on me.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Why no debit or credit at TJ Maxx or Marshall's, BBAM?

Draft saved Draft deleted